Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
My wife's 1993 previa,with 210k second engine, rear end seal leaked all oil out. Changed seal, hogs head is noisey but doable still.
Now the speed-o-meter reads about 15 mph slow at 70. Checked the speed sensor in the tranny and it checked out fine. It went from 12v to <2v each 1/4 spin.
Does the computer translate to the speed-o meter or is there a separate module than the speed-o-meter? Or maybe a tranny issue than I would be looking in the wrong hay stack.
Any help appreciated and have a nice day. Skip

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
You didn't change the gearing in the rear end but it's still off?
Is it 15mph off at all speeds or is the difference proportional to the speed IE 5mph off at 25, 10 at 50, 15 at 75?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and good day. The speed does seem to be proportionally off. I pulled the old hogs head out and replaced it with one from pick-n-pull but that one made more noise than the original so I put the old one back in after cleaning the seal seating surface really well. So the gearing would be the same. Does the speed sensor go through the computer or does the speedometer do the calculation? I have the manual but that info is vague at best although the book is well written. Thanks kamesama980

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and good day. The speed does seem to be proportionally off. I pulled the old hogs head out and replaced it with one from pick-n-pull but that one made more noise than the original so I put the old one back in after cleaning the seal seating surface really well. So the gearing would be the same. Does the speed sensor go through the computer or does the speedometer do the calculation? I have the manual but that info is vague at best although the book is well written. Thanks kamesama980
Finally a previa came in to the salvage yard and i was able to remove the instrument cluster. I changed out the pulse device on the tranny. That did not fix it. Put in new cluster and wella its fixed. thanks for the feed back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts