Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '07 Camry LE 4cyc with the auto. When I check the speed against my GPS, I'm seeing a variance of 2-3 mph at 60 mph. Basically, if my speedo shows 60 mph, my GPS shows 57/58 mph. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
'05 Camry Altise
15 Posts
I'd trust your speedo more than your GPS, calculations based off GPS tend to be out slightly anyway. Such as with single handheld GPS you can be off by metres easily. If your GPS works with your speedo within a couple of mph of your speedo, I'd be pretty happy if I was you.

The speed based off your wheel rotation will be a lot more accurate, so I'd use that one for avoiding speed camera tickets.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
GPS accuracy is about 0.5 mph, speedo can be something like 5% or more (usually indicates faster then actual speed) and still be acceptable to the Feds

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
My experience with Toyota speedometers is that they always show a higher speed than they should, and at 60, 2 mph isn't too bad.

·
Old TN User
62 Posts
My speedometer shows two miles too fast, too. That was one of the first things I noticed when I drove the car. I've verified this by driving by numerous stationary radar units that show your speed as you drive by. I've owned many Toyotas, and all of them, prior to my 07 were accurate according to these radar units.

Apparently, with the 07s they spent less time on calibration.

Look on the bright side. The odometer is also off by that much, so it's showing less miles than you're actually driving.

·
Millions &millions served
2013 Camry SE
8,078 Posts
don24mac said:
:lol: :rolleyes: wrong, wrong, wrong. i suggest you 'recalibrate' your statement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
don24mac said:
My speedometer shows two miles too fast, too. That was one of the first things I noticed when I drove the car. I've verified this by driving by numerous stationary radar units that show your speed as you drive by. I've owned many Toyotas, and all of them, prior to my 07 were accurate according to these radar units.

Look on the bright side. The odometer is also off by that much, so it's showing less miles than you're actually driving.
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Wouldn't the odometer show more than the actual miles?

·
Old TN User
62 Posts
Camread said:
:lol: :rolleyes: wrong, wrong, wrong. i suggest you 'recalibrate' your statement.
I stand by my statement. I figure that Toyota didn't recalibrate the speedometer when they switched to the standard 16 inch rims (on the 07 LE) from the 15 inch rims that were standard on the 06 LE. The tire sidewall heights are just about the same because the 07 has a wider tire than the 06 did, so the difference between 60 and 65 aspect ratios of the tires is neglible.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Remember it may be 2-3 MPH over at 60 mph but 0 at 40 or 1 at 50 etc. It's not 2-3 mph over at every speed.

·
Old TN User
62 Posts
On mine, it's about 2 mph fast at 25 mph, and at 50 or 60. i've verified that with those unmanned radar speed indicators they have around here on the side of the road. My other Camrys I've owned, a 1990 and a 2000, and our 95 Corolla all read exactly what the radar devices said. It's only the 07 Camry that's a little off.

I'll probably get stopped less often with it this way. :cool: Maybe they do it on purpose to try and slow people down.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Every car i've ever seen that had its speedo checked, read faster than it was actually going. (i.e. speedo read a bit too fast.) I think that maybe its a built in fudge-factor. so you dont get a ticket because of speedometer error?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The local Air Force Base always has those radar trailers "Speed Limit 25 mph" with the actual speed readout...my speedo says 25 mph but the radar says 22-23 mph...

·
Old TN User
62 Posts
ps for camry said:
Wouldn't it be the other way around? Wouldn't the odometer show more than the actual miles?
Actually, I think your right. Larger diameter tire would go further than a smaller diameter tire spinning at the same RPM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts