Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As ”on top of their game” as the Toyota engineers seem to be, there have been a few seemingly careless “goofs” on the 2021 Highlander. I mentioned the missing “auto-lock after walking away” feature that some other SUVs have, as well as them needlessly moving the driver and passenger temperature displays from the control knobs (on the Limited and Platinum) up to the harder-to-read 12.3” screen. Now I’ve discovered another obvious ”miss”: how they handle the speed warning. They give you the option of activating the alarm at 1, 3, or 5 mpg over the posted limit. Why didn’t they include 7 and 9 ? I think most drivers in the U.S. try to drive in the “sweet spot” of 7-over the limit and want to know when they have exceeded that. Also - the red outline around the 1/2” high speed sign display when speeding is detected is hardly noticeable, not just because of the small size but because it could be blocked by the driver’s hand or the steering wheel. Why not make the digital mph display change color or blink ?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
463 Posts

And why not a strobe light and fog horn to alert when exceeding the limit? The ergonomics of the new gen Highlander is well thought out and makes driving a pleasure for responsible drivers.

As for the size of the temperature numerals in the display.....placement and viability is more important than size. And the 12" display is at eye level whereas the cheaper knob method requires distracts from eyes on the road. As far as size and visibility......if a driver's corrected eyesight is so poor that they cannot read the numerals on the 12" display from the driver's position they are a hazard on the road and should stick to a bicycle and not be driving a motor vehicle.

As far as the speed indicators and warnings......the "sweet spot" speed IS the max posted speed limit. And any responsible driver exceeding it should know his exact speed at any time and how far over the limit without need for a visual or audio alert. The 5 mph alert is both appreciated and practical. If a driver has a vehicle where his hands block the view of any gauges in the main cluster he either has not adjusted the tilt/telescoping steering column properly, has incorrect body dimensions for the particular model chosen or is holding the steering wheel improperly. Besides, if a driver has the 12" display they also have the HUD display and there is no way short of placing your hands other than over your eyes that can block that view!

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
949 Posts
Speed limits, stop signs, etc seem to be treated as suggestions in many places.

The real speed limit for our city streets, for example, is what is measured as average and over is one standard deviation above that. It does not matter what the sign says. And if the city does not measure it every 5 years, then the ticket don't count. Lovely!

Ditto the So Cal freeways. 65 mph seems to be the suggested speed. Do not dare drive that slow, it is dangerous. You must go with the flow. Simple truth.

That they bother to put such arbitrary alarms in is funny. Perhaps a pulsing gas pedal if you go over the limit may be more annoying. Similar to the lane assist.

Honestly, who actually cares if you are driving over the posted (as read by the computer) speed limit??????

·
Registered
2013 Toyota Avalon Limited W/Premium Package +
590 Posts
It took me maybe a couple trips to set my cruise at the posted limit and not feel like I was limping along the highway. Saves big on gas and only if I'm late it's +9km. I do once in a while floor it to get to the limit from a dead stop... got to get my kicks and save on risking losing any points which cuts my insurance deductible and raises my driver's license cost.

I always bug my bud and give him hell for tailgating and speeding... Tailgating I ask him if he's just wants to be the cause of my final fatal heart attack and keep asking him why most Christians are in such a hurry to meet their maker while driving.

Sure I was not much better when I would drive from Winnipeg to Norther Ontario and Montreal years back there's a really long stretch over 2000km at 90km/h the minute you hit the Ontario border all the way though Norther Ontario and a good long stretch in Quebec, At the time they set the radar flags at +20 so I'd stick to +19 max. I can't drive at 55mph for 2000km.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
949 Posts
....... why most Christians are in such a hurry to meet their maker while driving.
This question is close to what I think when some one drives like they are possessed. It used to be BMW drivers but now it seems to have shifted to Tesla drivers. They must have a death wish. The only hint they get is when they are involved in an accident, but most of those drivers are narcissists so they will blame the other driver. There is no winning this. I try hard to ignore them. I doubt those drivers pay any attention to the factory warning systems........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts