Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my second ticket in 2 months.
I have not even gone to court to meet the DA for my first ticket to plea for mercy. scheduled for Feb 21.

I was driving on I-45 northbound from Houston - Dallas.
I had my auto cruise on for 70mph or less.

1 mile from my home, i saw somebody following me closely and from the shape of the car (cos it's apparent with the shadow of the car), so i slowed down to the right lane. The flashing lights came on.

He says I was doing 80mph in a 65 zone.
I know for a fact that my cruise was on and I told him so, he just brushed it off and gave me a ticket.

I feel that I was pulled over cos I have a LOUISIANA STATE car plate in Houston TX. I was not going any faster than anybody and there were 3 cars going faster than me.

Your thoughs?

·
Registered
304 Posts
yeah... I was in a line of cars, i am the only one with ontario plate... while i was in quebec.

and i got pulled over......... the only one.........

stupid cops

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
2 problems...

first, you were over the limit. Think of it as a pack mentality. If you speed with others, someone is going to get it in the ass. You have at least the same odds as others. Anomolies such as out of state plates may increase your risk, may not. It may have been your move from lane to lane that tipped him off too. Think of it as playing chicken...you flinched, and the predator jumped on the weakest target.

second, you say 70...with an uncalibrated speedo, and cruise has some variability...It is quite believable that you were actually doing 80.

Sucks, but pay to play....or keep it to the limit with the cruise so you are slightly on the slower side of average.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cop says to self "Hey he's not from this area, he won't bother fighting the ticket" :D

I dunno, but that's why I'm glad I can't stand how cruise control drives, and my speedo is wrong, it reads faster than what I'm going.

sorry to hear, cops can be pricks tho, that I know is true.

·
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bgrieger said:
2 problems...

first, you were over the limit. Think of it as a pack mentality. If you speed with others, someone is going to get it in the ass. You have at least the same odds as others. Anomolies such as out of state plates may increase your risk, may not. It may have been your move from lane to lane that tipped him off too. Think of it as playing chicken...you flinched, and the predator jumped on the weakest target.

second, you say 70...with an uncalibrated speedo, and cruise has some variability...It is quite believable that you were actually doing 80.

Sucks, but pay to play....or keep it to the limit with the cruise so you are slightly on the slower side of average.
definately agree that i was over the limit. i agree, but adding 10 miles from 70mph to 80mph is absurd. If I was doing 80, then the other guys are easily doing 85.

How in the world do you associate 70mph to 80mph? Cruise of 70, and if it is a % off, then that is possible but more than 13% difference??? very doubtful.

I heard that courts are not allowed or speedometer reading will not stand in court.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Your speedo won't be admitted. The cops will. They have theirs calibrated just so they can do pacing rather than always radar.

A 5-10% error on the speedo alone in street cars is not uncommon. There's a huge number of things that all add a percent here and there to make that base error even worse, and vehicle age/mileage is one of them. Relying on cruise is a huge mistake, and has a few mph variability depending on everything from grade to wind direction and speed. The cop may have also said 80 versus something in the range of 78-82.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,894 Posts
not to say you were speeding, but take it from me, driving in a pack doesnt make you invisible from cops. i was speeding with 4 other cars and we ALL got pulled over. we were going rather quick - my ticket was for 86 in a 65, the cop congratulated me for being the slowest in the pack. as we passed a rest area 5 state troopers came flying off all with their lights on. i knew the second i saw them we were all getting tickets. the cop said that a plane clocked our speed.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
the only way to get off from pacing is if you ask for maintenance records for his particular car, and if his speedo hasn't been calibrated recently, then they will let you go

·
1 4/\/\ +3|-| |\|00|3
273 Posts
Check the laws in the state about what you need to have a ticket. If I am correct, here in California you cant just pace, you need radar or something else

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
The fact is that you were speeding and you go caught. Pay the ticket and move on.
The fact that other drivers were also speeding is irrelevant. The fact that you arent from that area is irrelevant.
If you hadnt been speeding, you wouldnt have gotten a ticket.

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,764 Posts
Yeah, here in California, a cop can't give you a ticket if he didn't radar you. Also, the radars here in the California reads your speed 5mph slower. So if the radar reads you going 35mph, you're actually doing 40 mph.

·
TN's Pilot in Command
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
371 Posts
Captain_Toyota said:
The fact is that you were speeding and you go caught. Pay the ticket and move on.
The fact that other drivers were also speeding is irrelevant. The fact that you arent from that area is irrelevant.
If you hadnt been speeding, you wouldnt have gotten a ticket.
i wouldnt give up this case so easily. i live in houston and trust me, cops here can be liars. Theres a street in houston thats pretty famous because of the cops and its called Westheimer. I have to take Westheimer to go to work now because Richmond in under construction. A couple of weeks ago, a cop pulled me over for speeding, when i actually wasnt. He said i was doing 50 on a 35 when i was actually doing 30. i know this for a fact because my friend was driving next to me and he also had his cruise control on, but his was on for 35 and mines was on for 30. he passed up several cruisers and i was the one that got pulled over. Long story short, my friend calls me b4 the cop got to my window and told me to challenge him by asking for a printout of the speed. i did after he told me i was doing 50 and i was let off because i wasnt speeding. Challenge this and you might be left off, if not, it was at least worth a try. Just my .02...

·
TN's Pilot in Command
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
371 Posts
theres also deferred judification (sp?), but im not sure if you would qualify for that...

·
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Christian87N said:
theres also deferred judification (sp?), but im not sure if you would qualify for that...
two tickets in 2 months, that would be a bit tough.

I know for a fact that I was not doing 80mph at all. Thus, i would gladly pay for that ticket if he book me for doing 68 or 70 but adding 10mph to come up with 80 is crazy and out of this world.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
yea, some cops suck. i got a ticket a few weeks ago going 82 along with everyone else. lets just say when youre in an area where there are nothing but trucks and you drive a toyota...yea, youll get pulled over first.

·
2001 Camry LE
93 Posts
Blah, some cops are big a-holes, so do their jobs

I was going to illinois from minnesota, so had to drive through wisconsin, blah, minnesota plates, i was going along with everyone else, sirens go off, comes at me, had to pay 300 fine or get hauled to the station.

not only me, a few of my friends got the exact same thing

·
I'm that guy.
351 Posts
You live in Louisiana? Check with your local laws, I know some states do not hold you to pay a ticket you have in another state. Like, for example, New York will not get on your ass if you recieve a ticket in, say, Coloroda(I'm not sure if thats one of them). If thats the case, dont' worry about it, but just don't get caught speeding in TX again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts