Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need info on ontario highway laws

I was on highway 7 heading back to the 401 to go back to montreal, there was a truck and a car in front of me. The car passed the truck then I passed, it was on a hill. Out of no where in oncoming traffic the opp shows up and flags down all of us. He said the speed limit was 80 but there no sign posted there it was in between marmora and lake. anyways he said he clocked the first car at 118km and me at 126 and the truck at 100, he let the truck go and kept me and the other person. He took my info but my license is all in french so it wrote my address wrong from 4 years ago. i had a paper on it with a change of address which he ignorted, he wrote the wrong year of car.he wrote there ws no witnesses when i was with my girlfriend and there was the other preson on the car he pulled over. i asked to see the radar to see both speeds he said he can only show mine. So i decided to go to court since the info is wrong there are no sign posted on the highway in that area, I fine there is no way a radar can take two car speeds at the same time when there both behind each other and the cops was on the other side of the hill, also if i'm the second car how can i be faster then the first car, also why didn't he ticket the truck. Is this enough info to fight it in court? need help to fight this. i took pics of the area with my digital camera, the other car and the truck, someone told me to get a Disclosure and Discovery but i've never heard of this. In quebec highways like that are 90 or 100. or i should go see a traffic place to help me with this case. need help and info thanks alot also the time is wrong i checked out of the hotel at 11:40 and he caught me at 12:27 can i use this fopr my case also. that 37 miles in 47 mintues my paseo isn't that fast.

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
well if he wrote down the wrong info then you should be able to get off on that alone. otherwise, it seems like youve gone through all the proper steps in preparing to go to court.

btw, i know here that if yur on a highway the speed limit is 80 unless otherwise posted, not sure if that applies over there or not

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,632 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1. Minor errors on year or other information on your license will not often gain you leniancy from a judge. Most ignore them if they can still identify you from the license number or plate.

2. Ontario has a reciprocity agreement with Quebed. You will get fined, but as far as I know, demerit points don't cross provincial borders. Check that out too...

3. Argue as you will, if the cop attends court, they will argue that per the expert training they have, the radar can track how fast anything goes at any time and in any number. Becomes a battle of who the judge believes.

4. Selective enforcement is not a defence. Just cause the cop didn't ticket one does not mean the others are free too.

5. Only 400 series highways are 100 in Ontario, with a couple of exceptions. All other intercity highways are 80 and anything in town is 50 unless otherwise marked.

6. You might be albe to get him on the orientation of the 3 cars, you being behind, how could you have been the fastest. He could claim you were gaining on the car in front of you. Again, 2 sides, who does the judge believe...

Not saying don't fight it, but those traffic ticket places generally charge double to triple the rate for the offence if they win (mainly because they save you the points). If you are not getting points in quebec, I'd be tempted to say pay the man and be done with it...might turn out to be cheaper

Bob

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hey Adrian,

On Ontario highways (like parts of Hwy 5 Hwy10, Hwy 2, etc...), in the countryside or near small towns the limit is max 80 km/h outside built up areas unless posted otherwise (when you enter the city, there'll be a huge road sign saying 'Welcome to...' along with all that stuff no one ever reads).

So if you didn't snap pics of any 100 km/h signs, that could mean the limit was 80kph on that highway. If the limit is 40/60/70/100 km/h, it will always be posted.

Same thing applies when you're in the city, it's max 50km/h unless otherwise posted, so if there's no 60km/h signs posted, you have to drive maximum 50 km/h.

If he wrote the wrong address on your ticket, it's still a valid ticket because it can be ammended in court. Same with the info on your car, these doesn't matter because the cop can still identify you in court as the person charged with speeding.

Finding a ticket agent might be tough if the provincial offences court is outside a major city, the paralegal guys don't like doing actual work. Don't plead guilty on the back of that ticket, simply request a trial date and wait to hear back. This buys you some time to figure out what to do next. 46 km/h over the speed limit is 4 demerit points I think, pretty serious if you're convicted. Let me know what happens...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys thanks for the info. Hey derek Next time i'm in the toronto area i'll give you a call, also email me cuz i lost yours anyways i make a couple of call and my cousin knows someone who works for toronto police. he said i can fight it but, mostly likely the cop will show cuz small town police have alots of free time. You have 2 option to ask for a plea bargain if not make sure u have soild info. mistake on a ticket mean shit once your name and plates are right thats all that matters. points transfer from province to province. you can says that your not guilt first cuz you've never been there before so u can speed through where you don't even know where your going. second that it was a semi truck, cuz there slower and you need to go faster to over take the truck since it was going slower than the speed limit. If you can find quebec road laws that highway like highway7 are 90 in quebec u can use that also, since the tickets said 116 u can use that saying if he pulled over two car say the first car was doing 106 so if your behind there no way that u can go faster than the first car. so you where doing about 90 cuz you slowed down to the speed to though the highway was at (only if u can prove that highway like that are 90 in quebec) he also said don't expect a trial day till fall cuz there so busy now since spring is here. So that what he said no we just have to wait and see. i'll look for more info and see. And for once i was doing the speed limit i was just passing a truck!

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,662 Posts
So you guys got raped in a group by the OPP.. ouch!! :disappoin next time go 401 man.. faster and not as many little piggies on the road. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts