Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an objection to dumping WD40 in the cable just to get it started?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I object.

Better to get yourself some motorcycle chain lube. Not the wax kind, but the greasy kind. The old style Bel-Ray Chain Lube is perfect (not the newer Bel-Ray Super Clean, which dries to a dry wax finish). Maxima Chain Guard works well, too.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278876

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your objection to WD40? Just want to dump it in to clean it up and see if it even turns. And then follow up with your grease suggestion??

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Of course you can do what you want. My concern would be that the WD40 would thin out any lubricant that might be added later.

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I had the same thought that's one reason I asked.
The other was soemone might say NO WAY you mix any grease with WD40 and some strange chemical reaction ocurrs.
I'll go the WD route and see if I can get it to spin, if it does I'll search out the other product and dump the whole can in there.

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
3 in 1 oil or liquid wrench has more OIL in it

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
wd-40 isnt that great of a lubricant.

I used synthetic chain lube (has a consistency almost that of water), worked like a hot damn. 6 months after my first application Im hearing a tiny amount of noise. Not surprized considering how much black stuff came out of the cable with the excess lube.

My vote, synth chain lube!

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dumped a mess of WD40, that's what I have, cable turns when connected to a drill but not by hand.
Is that to be expected? Or is it still not clean enough?
When I run it with the drill I don't get any noise coming from the cable.
I used to get that bad squeaky noise but since the speedo stopped working I get no noise.
Looked thru the Forums but could not find a pic of a bad cable end, there is nothing obviously broken.
Is their a way I can tell from visual inspection what's damaged?
89 Pick-up, 4wd,22RE

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speedocable now turns by hand.
I reconnected the cable to the speedo, left trans side off and connected drill to the trans side; speedo does not move.
I expect it should since this should be a mechanical speedo (89 22re 4wd).
Should it move?
Upon visual inspection thru a huge magnifying glass the speedo end of the cable is rounded as well as the inner port to the speedo itself.
I'm beginning to suspect the speedo end of cable and port of the speedo rounded out and lost the ability to engage each other.
I'm speaking about the last 1/8" of cable, is that enough to keep the speedo from registering?
Have an additional issue with the tailight fuse blowing prior to disassembly of the dash but I'l make that a new thread since I don't believe they are related.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
The cable should be able to be turned Easily by hand.. like not hard at all.

Re-dissconect both sides of the cable, route the trans end up through the engine bay and hang up up near the top of the open hood. Now get some good lube (cmon, spend the $7 on a can of something!) and lube it up. Wd40 might help for a little bit but it will have no effect after a couple days. Works okay for cleaning the cable tho..

buy some synthetic chain lube or try liquid wrench 4

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does turn easily. Please read my earlier post from today that had more questions.
Thanks!

·
Registered
89 toyota pick-up
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still need some help here the cable turns easily by hand.
This is 89 Pick-up.
I keep reading about "gears" on the end(s) of the cable(s) but I don't see any.
Are the gears on the cable ends or are they internal i.e. inside the speedo and/or trans connection?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts