Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 Corolla automatic 4 door ae92. I am getting some noise from the speedo cable (noise comes from behind cluster). Has anyone ever had this noise occur before? Seems to me like to could be the cable or the gear. If its the gear, I assume this is not replaceable, correct?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 91 Corolla automatic 4 door ae92. I am getting some noise from the speedo cable (noise comes from behind cluster). Has anyone ever had this noise occur before? Seems to me like to could be the cable or the gear. If its the gear, I assume this is not replaceable, correct?
I had it happen before. I pulled the cluster out made sure the cable was clipped in to the dash right, put a little more lithium grease on it and it's been fine.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Yeah. Re-lubing has helped mine too.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Heh, my speedo cable just split on me (the first half from the tranny)... It used to make noise and at times it would read 90MPH and other irratic movements when I would actually be about 60MPH................... it gave out today, trip to junkyard tomorrow.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
Both my cars used to make the high pitch noise when it was very cold here, like anything under -10C and the cable would cry until it got warmer. :yikes:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Heh, my speedo cable just split on me (the first half from the tranny)... It used to make noise and at times it would read 90MPH and other irratic movements when I would actually be about 60MPH................... it gave out today, trip to junkyard tomorrow.
two section cable from junkyard?? just get one from dealer. I think mine was about $30.00 a few years ago. when mine broke..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts