Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The analog speedometer in my 2016 Limited is always off from the digital speedometer by about 2-3 mph. Can this be corrected?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,464 Posts
Speedometer is working normally. It can supposedly be corrected but it has been a "normal issue" for Toyota for awhile.

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
97 Posts
+1

·
ralderson
2018 Camry XLE, 2016 Avalon Limited
2 Posts
According to 2 dealers, “ the analog is set for 215-55/17 tires, digital is programmed for 225-45/18 option in the computer. Can’t be changed. It frustrates the crap out of me. I have a 2016 Limited so it came with 18’s, I’m changing to 17’s next spring. My speedo will be right AND I’ll have a softer ride with more sidewall height. Double bonus👍
Wifes 18 Camry XLE has 18’s and it’s correct with both, it didn’t have a 17 option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for clearing that up, Roger. So I guess that means that the digital speedo is the correct one. I would also assume that the odometer is linked with the digital, otherwise the mileage would be off.

·
ralderson
2018 Camry XLE, 2016 Avalon Limited
2 Posts
Didn’t think to ask that, or check it myself. I’ll have to look next time I go through a mile check area.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
105 Posts
The digital speedometer can be turned off in the multi info display, if its too annoying seeing two different speeds displayed. Its should only be a max. difference of One to Two M.P.H. between the two of them.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
105 Posts
The hybrids came with 17 inch wheels. So the analog speed odometer reading , should be correct. You can only turn off the digital display, that is more suited for the 18 inch wheels, ( from what I read from the above posts).
If anyone has a Garmin or can borrow one you could check the mph readings if need be, to see if there is any difference between the two for a reference, or a base line point.

·
PJSMITH
1,505 Posts
I might have missed a posting but the discussion of speedo accuracy and rim size is the problem?
if that is the discussion i offer this observation.
rim size does not matter. tire size may matter.
The real effort is the circumference of a tire/wheel combo is what can change the speedo IF the speedo is driven from the tranny or other mechanical pickup in the car.
I have tried to get the answer from the dealer and they can't verify where the input is from.
I spent a few discussions with the service manager and techs and there is some discussion that the GPS takes/provides an input from actual movement of the car geographically. The wheels/tranny provide an input by mechanical input. they can't tell me which gets the most accurate read out and where is it displayed.
If you go to
it provides a calculator for circumference.
there are three other good calculators and some tire retailers have similar calculators.
these are what can be used to use alternate size/profile tires.
215/55R17 hybrid tires
235/50R17 alternate exact match for circumference/diameter
width doesn't matter to affect speedo.
Pick your year make model and tires and then go to alternate sizes

calculation for pi makes diameter the measure to chose.
as long as the diameter is the same or very close, it's nominal speed change.

spend some time and try to fit other tires.

the question is "what is the true speed."

i also have a motorcycle, which speed accuracy of speedo is never right on. i have a GPS that is right on accurate and i have driven with it in the car and it shows a 2 or 5 mph difference depending on how old the tires are and whether it's the digital or analog speed readout.

days and hours of debate ensue.
If it;s WAY OFF, the Toyota computer can adjust it but it changes as tires wear and its not worth the chase.
if it is essential, find an engineer and mathematician and calculate a new set of tires. you can get perfect accuracy and it will be accurate for a few weeks and then it will be off and get worse over time, until your next set of tires.
Good luck. or just live with a little variance.

in calculating the MPG the difference barely matters.
the cops don't usually care because the car manufacturers intentionally understate, to keep you under the speed limit. (there are many articles about speedo accuracy in google searches)

just enjoy your car and move on

·
Registered
301 Posts
According to my Garmin GPS, with OEM 215/55-17 tires my digital speedometer was dead accurate and my analog speedometer read 1-2 mph higher than the digital speedometer. This was slightly annoying to me until I replaced the OEM 215s with larger 225/55-17 tires. With the larger 225/55-17 tires the analog speedometer is now accurate and the digital speedometer reads 1-2 mph lower, so I turned off the digital speedometer and am now not annoyed. There is a silver lining to this discrepancy.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
105 Posts
Thanks Den 49 for your reply and data . And also It looks like the 225/55/17 tires are my best compromise for ride, comfort, and handling, for the Gen 4 Avalon`s with 17 wheels. Running 18 Summer and 17 Winter is becoming expensive and a PITA.

·
PJSMITH
1,505 Posts
m
According to my Garmin GPS, with OEM 215/55-17 tires my digital speedometer was dead accurate and my analog speedometer read 1-2 mph higher than the digital speedometer. This was slightly annoying to me until I replaced the OEM 215s with larger 225/55-17 tires. With the larger 225/55-17 tires the analog speedometer is now accurate and the digital speedometer reads 1-2 mph lower, so I turned off the digital speedometer and am now not annoyed. There is a silver lining to this discrepancy.
I have 2 garmins for different purposes and my garmin was right on and it changes over time. not enough for me to care anymore. on my motorcycle, depending on the life of the tires, the speed is 8-18 percent. (speedo reads low) 18 mph at 100mph. not that i would ever excede the limit

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,464 Posts
GPS vs Dial vs ECU Live Data vs Speed Trap
Take your pick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts