Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 toyota pick up manuel trans. My speedometer was working intermittently. And now it is not working at all. Changed the speedometer sensor along with the nylon gear that fits inside it. Still no luck. The repair book also talks about a ECU what is this? And could this be the problem? Need some help please. I'm already in this with $150 worth of parts.

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
381 Posts
I'll look in my service manual tomorrow and see what it says about possible problems. The ECU is the electronic control unit, not a good thing to fail.

My son had a speedmeter problem and bought a cheap GPS to use as a speedmeter since repair was really expensive. I have a GPS's now in two cars and love the accuracy as compared to speedmeter plus get driving directions on one of them. Only disadvantage is thugs wanting to steal them!

I get back to you tomorrow evening if nobody else replys.

regards.

·
Sailor
87 SR5 4wd
381 Posts
I have a 1992 pickup 2wd. My service manual indicates to inspect the speed sensor and to check if there is continuity between terminals a and b four times par each revolution of the speedmeter shaft. If operation is not as specified, replace the speedometer.

You should be able to just hook up a ohmmeter and see if you have continuity, (0 ohms) fours times each revolution - to my understanding. I have never troubleshoot a speed sensor before myself.

Try just searching the internet for Toyota service manual with your year, maybe you can find a site with your year vehicle. Sorry, got to go.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Here is in detail all of the free factory service manual download links I have compiled from extensive searches,this info will save you thousands of Dollars.

In North America the 22R & 22R-E s are used in the following:

22R
1981-82 Toyota Corona
1981-83 Celica
1981-87 Toyota pickup (up to 1990 on 2wd)
1984-87 Toyota 4-Runner

22R-E (22REC=California emissions=extra charcoal canister)
1983-85 Celica
1985-95 Toyota pickup
1985-95 Toyota 4-Runner

22RTE (Turbo EFI)
1985-87 Toyota pickup
1985-87 Toyota 4-Runner

Any Public Library in your area would have the Factory service manual, Haynes,Chiltons,Mitchells,Clymers, Bentley and Toyota repair books.For the Dartmouth/Halifax area:

http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.ca/content/view/29/49/
http://find.galegroup.com/menu/start?userGroupName=hrl_main&prod=CHLL
http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/Index.aspx

Free AutoZone service manuals at:

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/repair_info/repair_guide/repair_guide.jsp

:worship:

Sidney
E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada

:kingme: for I am :canada:

·
another toyota owner
The WHITE one.
380 Posts
You might want to start looking for a replacement instrument cluster...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 1994 toyota pick up manuel trans. My speedometer was working intermittently. And now it is not working at all. Changed the speedometer sensor along with the nylon gear that fits inside it. Still no luck. The repair book also talks about a ECU what is this? And could this be the problem? Need some help please. I'm already in this with $150 worth of parts.
I'm trying to link all of these related posts to the solution that worked for me. YMMV: 1993 toyota pickup speedometer stopped working

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you lubricated Speedometer Cable? Couldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you lubricated Speedometer Cable? Couldn't hurt anything.
The '94 units had TSS sensors, so the speedometer is fed by electronic signal. I'm unaware of any units after '91 or '92 that still used the older mechanical cable (but I'm wrong often enough, so...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could it be that your speedometer cable snapped? Mine did.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
191 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Will this service fix my problems?

A full diagnostic check should first be performed to eliminate all other possible causes for your symptoms, even if the symptoms match those specified on the common fault description.

If you send a good working unit because of misdiagnosis and after we test the unit and find no issue/faults, then you will only be responsible for a $39.99 testing fee and shipping.

IMPORTANT! If you are not sure that this part is the cause of the fault then we recommend that you do not go ahead with this purchase and instead seek further professional advice and diagnosis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts