Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Camry
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 MR2. The speedometer and odometer are not working. Everything else (fuel, oil, temp gauge are working fine). Will changing a different cluster fix this problem or it is something bigger?

·
Registered
89 MKI MR2 SC
17 Posts
Stupid question on my behalf. Have you checked the spedometer cable?. They tend to break near the ends in the dash it by the tranny. You literally have to unhook the cable and spin it by hand while checking the other end to see if its spinning as well.

Peace.. buddah

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
buddah55 is right. Have you checked the cable and speedo gear?

And just to make matters even more fun, the cable hooks to what is called an adapter, I have seen people discount this piece as a culprit, but don't do it. It has a small pin inside that could possible bind up or break.

I have a 1986 MR2. The speedometer and odometer are not working. Everything else (fuel, oil, temp gauge are working fine). Will changing a different cluster fix this problem or it is something bigger?

·
Supercharzed Toyz Raczing
2 ea Mark 1 mr2's
314 Posts
Unscrew the cable termination- at the tranny - and attach a drill to the cables end and spin the interior braided metal cable, if the speedo moves it the sender, if it doesn't it's the 17 ft cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts