Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!!

Was digging around and found that replacing the speedo cable should fix the speedometer from bouncing all over the place. Sad to report, Mom's speedo still sucks $140 later 馃コ. Thought that was going to do the trick... And being that this doesn't have an ODBII for any speed sensor codes to be thrown. Does this have a speed sensor that talks to the ECU? Or is the speed only coming from the cable? Which would then lead me to believe that the cluster is faulty.

Has anyone taken the cluster apart and been able to fix this issue? Or will the cluster need to be replaced? Because in that case, I guess doing a cluster swap for the standard trans cluster would be more of a reality than a fun project.

Thank you!!

Registered
Hello!!!

Was digging around and found that replacing the speedo cable should fix the speedometer from bouncing all over the place. Sad to report, Mom's speedo still sucks $140 later 馃コ. Thought that was going to do the trick... And being that this doesn't have an ODBII for any speed sensor codes to be thrown. Does this have a speed sensor that talks to the ECU? Or is the speed only coming from the cable? Which would then lead me to believe that the cluster is faulty.

Has anyone taken the cluster apart and been able to fix this issue? Or will the cluster need to be replaced? Because in that case, I guess doing a cluster swap for the standard trans cluster would be more of a reality than a fun project.

Thank you!!
I've had to pull the cluster on my 91 apart twice in 30 years. The grease in the cable dries out and turns to a paste. Grease had migrated up into the back of the cluster or it may have been put there when it was manufactured. The cable plugs into the back of the cluster and turns a short shaft with a disk on the end. The speedometer needle is magnetically coupled to the disk with no physical connection to the spinning cable. There is a bearing in the stem at the end of the cluster. In my case that bearing was packed with dried up grease chunks. The plastic tabs holding everything together actually flexed enough without breaking after 30 years which surprised me. The cable can be regreased fairly easily. I removed the end at the transmission and made an adapter with a short pvc pipe nipple that threaded right on to the cable end. Put a cap on the other end of the nipple and drill a tiny hole just large enough to push the thin red straw of a WD-40 can into the nipple. Put a plastic bag over the end of the cable behind the cluster and flush WD-40 through the cable. I followed that with compressed air and then a spray can of white lithium grease.
Circuit component Light Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring

Registered
I've had to pull the cluster on my 91 apart twice in 30 years. The grease in the cable dries out and turns to a paste. Grease had migrated up into the back of the cluster or it may have been put there when it was manufactured. The cable plugs into the back of the cluster and turns a short shaft with a disk on the end. The speedometer needle is magnetically coupled to the disk with no physical connection to the spinning cable. There is a bearing in the stem at the end of the cluster. In my case that bearing was packed with dried up grease chunks. The plastic tabs holding everything together actually flexed enough without breaking after 30 years which surprised me. The cable can be regreased fairly easily. I removed the end at the transmission and made an adapter with a short pvc pipe nipple that threaded right on to the cable end. Put a cap on the other end of the nipple and drill a tiny hole just large enough to push the thin red straw of a WD-40 can into the nipple. Put a plastic bag over the end of the cable behind the cluster and flush WD-40 through the cable. I followed that with compressed air and then a spray can of white lithium grease.
View attachment 365351
did yours ever start whining like this audio? in below freezing temps it just started on me this winter, its bad!
can I assume that from the 89-95 models into the early Tacoma era (95.5-97) that this assembly is somewhat identical?
while merging onto the freeway with it buzzing the needle is quite jumpy from 55mph to 80mph and it takes 12 miles to finally settle down at 10 degrees outside temp
audio is a bit muffled behind jacket in passenger seat but intensifies near the end

Reactions: West3rnSpy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahahahhaha no techno coming from the cluster on hers, which is weird. Because I've seen Youtube videos of peoples clusters making noises that have the same issue that's going on. My Grandmother had this truck for 14 years before my Mother got it.... lets say she's one of those people who thinks you can just put gas in it and drive it. So who knows how long this has been happening.

Originally, I purchased some Blaster graphite dry lube and removed the OEM cable and lubed the cable. That did nothing, so I just went ahead and purchased a new OEM cable from Yotashop. The cable seems to spin freely and as fast as the new one I just purchased, so I guess I'll be selling the original.

I'll pop the back of the cluster off and see if I can fix it given the new knowledge from @Handyman85383

Thanks for the input!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Huh... so there was some weird liquid all in this speedometer. Cleaned it all out, took it for a test drive... It doesn't jump around anymore. But it sure isn't accurate. seems that when you pass 25mph it goes from being 2mph off to waaaay off. At least it doesn't bounce around and kind of lets you know a guesstimate of how fast you're going hahahahahhahah... Fixed the bouncing, but now we have an accuracy issue. At least the root issue was solved!!

Automotive tire Bumper Rim Gas Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Circuit component Motor vehicle Electronic engineering Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Electrical wiring Gas

Registered
Mine had a slight wining noise but we don't see those cold temps here in Phoenix so I can't speak to below freezing temperature noise. The two times mine got noisy were both in the winter when we saw temperatures under 40 degrees.
Huh... so there was some weird liquid all in this speedometer. Cleaned it all out, took it for a test drive... It doesn't jump around anymore. But it sure isn't accurate. seems that when you pass 25mph it goes from being 2mph off to waaaay off. At least it doesn't bounce around and kind of lets you know a guesstimate of how fast you're going hahahahahhahah... Fixed the bouncing, but now we have an accuracy issue. At least the root issue was solved!!

View attachment 365472
View attachment 365473
View attachment 365474
I would guess that since it is magnetically coupled possibly the disk and the magnet somehow are now closer together and the magnetic field is stronger, causing the speedometer needle to show a higher speed. I do not know if there is a specification for that as I've never seen any instructions on taking the assembly apart. Nice work on solving the bounce. Is the whining sound gone now as well?

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine had a slight wining noise but we don't see those cold temps here in Phoenix so I can't speak to below freezing temperature noise. The two times mine got noisy were both in the winter when we saw temperatures under 40 degrees.

I would guess that since it is magnetically coupled possibly the disk and the magnet somehow are now closer together and the magnetic field is stronger, causing the speedometer needle to show a higher speed. I do not know if there is a specification for that as I've never seen any instructions on taking the assembly apart. Nice work on solving the bounce. Is the whining sound gone now as well?
Yea at least we solved the fluttering. But no, there was never any audible noise coming from the cluster. Reason why I never suspected the issue to being the gauge itself. But hey I'm happy we at least fixed the main issue I came here to fix.
Whelp.. next challenge. Calibration lol.

Registered
my trucks speedo has been off by close to 7mph for quite a few miles, maybe over 100k now!
i measure it up at those speed-alert radar stands when going into small towns off the side of the road
its a great excuse for being pulled over by the county sheriff for speeding lol, which i was 3x last year with just a warning

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At least you know by how much it's off. After checking more into this issue. It appears this truck doesn't have the original 14" rims and correct tire size equip. Door jam says the tires should be 205/75/14R, but what's on it is 205/75/15R. Which should only see a 2mph difference... According to this calculator online, it should only be off by 2mph. But it's way off at the speeds it's telling me on here.

Have you tried removing your needle @97tacomaHA and manually setting it to your phones gps? I did this with my Tundra when I painted the needles red. I feel like this truck would break if you messed with this little needle lol.

Vendor
1 - 10 of 10 Posts