Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spiders are a real thing and can wreak havoc on your car! I now see that there are other posts like this, but it was hard for me to find, so I'm putting "spiders" into the title to make it more easily findable!!!

My 2004 AWD Matrix with 220k miles would not fill up with gas. To cut to the chase, it was a spider and its web clogging a vent hose of the charcoal/vapor canister. This photo is of a new canister, but it's the big hose, at the end of which is just open to the environment:

Automotive lighting White Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

I HIGHLY recommend you check that before you do anything more involved, especially if it's happening in the fall after the summer spider season. Here in SoCal, we definitely saw a lot of spiders during this 2021 summer. Will post more details later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here is the culprit. This is after I poked through it a little so it was probably denser. There was also a dead spider in there but I’ll spare you the gruesomeness:
Hand Finger Gesture Cigarette Thumb

Hand Drinkware Coffee cup Cup Finger

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Congrats. Great find. Is it just the fitting? It looks like the new assembly has a black fitting? Or is it the one in the first image with a hose on? I do get a lot of spiders in my area as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it just the fitting? It looks like the new assembly has a black fitting? Or is it the one in the first image with a hose on?
Yes the clog was just in the white plastic fitting, not the rubber hose. Maybe the spider was afraid of the dark!

The new assembly comes with the same white fitting but it is just out of the photo to the right, on the big rubber hose.

·
Registered
Black 07 Corolla CE
291 Posts
Are you sure it was a dead spider? they molt, ya know. It could just be moving on to another open cavity in your car. A buddy of mine's dad works for a Nationally Known Insect Killing Company. He says there is no "spider" specific treatment.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
15,065 Posts
Mazda has had issues with spiders getting into the valve also. How they get in there in the first place is beyond me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure it was a dead spider? they molt, ya know. It could just be moving on to another open cavity in your car.
Come to think of it, it might’ve been just the molt! Thanks for that correction :p But dang the web itself is some pretty impressive stuff. I suppose electric cars don’t have to worry about this!

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
479 Posts
Come to think of it, it might’ve been just the molt! Thanks for that correction :p But dang the web itself is some pretty impressive stuff. I suppose electric cars don’t have to worry about this!
Yeah........electric cars have a LOT of other stuff to worry about!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dibs on purchasing the AWD Matrix!
She’s been with us from the start. 17 years and going strong even with some neglect for the first half. Son is getting his drivers license soon and this will probably be for him to drive. Note I did not say it will be his! He needs to get some grease on his soft pretty hands before that happens!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW in case anyone is looking for a new canister you may want to try Autozone. OEM seems to run for at least $220. I purchased this Duralast for $174 thinking it is a low risk part and the car may not last another 220k miles…
Product Font Output device Machine Screenshot

However to my pleasant surprise what I received was OEM. It’s got “Toyota” stamped on the housing as well as a Denso VSV. It looks exactly the same.
Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Machine

Not sure how that works! Keep in mind this one is for AWD and I believe the ones for FWD cars won’t come with a skid plate and the mounting is a little different.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Oh wow, that’s nuts. Probably just the OEM in a different box. Yep, the AWD canister is under the passenger side seat area. All others got it by the rear driver side wheel well. I was at the yard checking out the AWD setup to possibly install on the corolla but there are a lot of things that I’d have to modify. Not to forget to mention, the catalytic converter is in the header. You know what that means! Need to get Bar’d to run in SoCal.

Yeah, I’m still interested in getting a AWD Matrix. Tho I don’t necessarily want to get rid of my Corolla or Acura TL... so there’s that. The extra space will do me real good in hauling things.

I don’t suggest getting rid of this gem. I’m just jelly lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is my best guess at what happened with my autozone-turned-OEM purchase…

They want to provide a wide breadth of aftermarket parts. But given the rarity of an AWD Matrix, it doesn’t make sense for them to manufacture them. So they just post the OEM item on their website, claim it’s their aftermarket allowing them to compete on price, and if someone purchases, they walk over to their local (Pittsburgh) dealer and ship it off!

Who knows! The takeaway is give a good look at the photos on Autozone and if it looks OEM but is priced lower, give it a try. You can always get a full refund.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts