Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago, I noticed that the clutch of my 1991 Corolla felt spongy. I bled the clutch (noticed some bubbles in dirty fluid) and the problem seemed fixed.
The clutch is starting to feel spongy again, and it seems that the fluid level in the reservoir has dropped about 1/8".
I checked the master cylinder (in the engine compartment as well as the boot against the firewall) and see no leakage.
I checked all around the lines from the master to slave and see no leakage.
I checked as much of the slave cylinder as I could see and there is no leakage.

Should I bleed the clutch again as this drop in fluid level/sponginess may just be adjustment?
Or is one of the cylinders faulty? How do I detemine which one to replace?
How difficult is it to remove/replace the master and slave cylinders? It looks like they just bolt into place... Any special tools needed/hints/recommendations??

Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
air in the lines

Actually after driving around some more, I noticed what I believe to be brake fluid under the slave cylinder.

How hard is this to replace? Any special tools needed, procedure recommended?

Thanks
Jen

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
cant help you there sorry... someone else may be able to... I did my entire front half a while back, but that was one of the few things i didn't touch. :lol:

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Sounds like you need to pick up Haynes manual. I belive you have to "bench bleed" the master cylinder to replace it and then of course bleed out the whole system once the new one is in. You can also probably rebuild the old one with new seals. P/U that Hayne's Manual and it will have pictures and instructions for the whole operation:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts