Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 07 TRD Sport DC LB with 29k miles to my local dealership to get the TSB done. I have a 2.5 spacer lift in the front and the rear is stock. My ride gets harsh when i load one of my miller welding generators in the bed. I was hoping not to have any problems but they denied the TSB because i had a after market lift in the front which voided my warranty. :headbang: they said they might do the TSB if i removed the spacer and then they would perform a test to see if the springs need to be replaced

i called toyota to see if i could reverse the verdict because there is a TSB for that specific problem but they said that because its lifted, the weight of the truck has shifted and that might be the problem.

has anybody gotten the TSB done with a lifted front end? or should tacoma owners have this done first before they start to mod their trucks.

what should i do?. should i remove the spacer and take it back or just install an AAL myself and not let the dealership touch my tacoma again.

any help is appreciated :sosad:

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
i got my TSB done while lifted and with a block in the rear.

if you ever make it to Phx go to camelback toyota and ask for mike romero he will hook you up

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Total bs, they can decline it but they would have to prove that the lift is the direct affect. Do a search for warranty work, and you'll come up with a lot of useful info. The only thing the rear tsb is gona do is add an extra leaf in the back.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
You my friend need to read up on the magnusson moss act, go back to the dealer and ask them to prove that the bottoming out is due to the front end being lifted, get everything they tell you in writing, if they cannot prove it, (which they can't) tell them you are going to file a complaint for denying warranty work due to use of aftermarket parts, thus violating the magnusson moss act. That should get the ball rolling. If not, then file the compliant and find a different dealer.

·
GOTTA LUV THE TOYO
08 ext cab prerunner
20 Posts
from what i understand, it is not a warranty thing. Its optional from the dealer to do it if they want, but they are not required. Correct me if I am wrong.

Try going to another dealer in your area and trying them.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
It is a repair that is performed under warranty, with a compliant for the customer...thus it qualifies under the magnusson moss act. The magnusson moss act protects again a manufacturer denying WARRANTY work (regardless of whether it is a TSB, recall, mechanical failure...etc.) due to the use of aftermarket parts, which the OP's dealer has done by telling him they will not fix it due to the lift being installed.

·
Registered
07 PRE RUNNER DOUBLE
32 Posts
So if im understanding this correctly you modified the suspension, thereby changing the ride height and affecting the overall handling of the truck, and now would like to have a suspension repair or update? what did you think was going to happen? Take the blocks out get the TSB and the put them back in. Or find a dealer willing to play ball with you. At ford I found that a little extra money to the service advisor tended to help me with my goals. Good luck hiding behind the Magnusson Moss Act.

Not trying be an ass but ive been down this road before. I've had to remove an entire suspension lift from a 3/4 ton truck before they would cover a warranty issue. If your gona play you gota be willing to pay.

On the other hand there's no better time than the present for a full Suspension lift. it'll take care of the harsh ride.

Either way good luck.

·
Registered
'05 Tacoma
43 Posts
The only way I could get my leaf pack replaced via the TSB was to take the truck to the dealer with the payload at the max. After seeing the truck almost on the rear bumpstops, and a quick drive they agreed to replace. But before that, that turned me down.

I don't know how hard it would be to remove the spacers....but if me, I would remove the spacers, take it in fully loaded, and then they would almost have to agree.
I know it is a pain....but it would be with less headache I think...
Good Luck
D

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
If it becomes a pain, just find another dealer. All the dealerships I've worked with don't give two shits about lift.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
So if im understanding this correctly you modified the suspension, thereby changing the ride height and affecting the overall handling of the truck, and now would like to have a suspension repair or update? what did you think was going to happen? Take the blocks out get the TSB and the put them back in. Or find a dealer willing to play ball with you. At ford I found that a little extra money to the service advisor tended to help me with my goals. Good luck hiding behind the Magnusson Moss Act.

Not trying be an ass but ive been down this road before. I've had to remove an entire suspension lift from a 3/4 ton truck before they would cover a warranty issue. If your gona play you gota be willing to pay.

On the other hand there's no better time than the present for a full Suspension lift. it'll take care of the harsh ride.

Either way good luck.
:disappoin Should have figured this comming from a Ford owner.... :disappoin

In other words he has let a dealership push him around in the past and he thinks you should let your dealership do the same...and the only way to get things done is an occassional bribe to a service advisor...:headbang:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responces.
I installed my spacer lift so i can take it off and install it back on later.
or i could go to Phoenix but it is a two and a half hour drive.
Going to the dealership again with the lift seems like a waste of my time. I will most likely remove the lift and take the truck back to get the TSB. the principal is that my truck is underwarranty and it should be covered. the only reason i get my truck serviced at the dealership is to maintain my warranty. i guess i will have to conform :ugh3:

·
FREE CITIZEN
Tacoma 06 DC TRD OR
496 Posts
I got spidertraxx on 4 corners, a Level Lift and AAL, all are coming off before the 60k warranty check/claims, I don't want any crap from the dealer.
After that check/claims, then I'll start hacking the truck all it needs to be.

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
Is the rear TSB really necessary? It seems like the majority of the users on this forum have had it done or went with a aftermarket setup anyway. I can understand the extra strength to have when the bed is loaded or when towing, but a lift/level kit isn't exactly mandatory on a truck. So I don't know why a dealer should cover any warranty work if it's for modification (mainly looks when lifted IMO) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the truck's rear suspension. Even if it's covered under warranty, is there still a out of pocket expense? I think I saw somewhere that somebody paid around $300 to have it done. Isn't it like $1600 that the dealer has to pay? I'm by no means defending the "stealerships", I just think it's logic that they don't wan't to flip the majority of the bill unless it's truly a manufacturer defect.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
^It is truely a manufactures defect....you must not haul anything in your truck...if you did you would understand why this is necessary.

The OP stated
My ride gets harsh when i load one of my miller welding generators in the bed.
Thus his reason for wanting it done has absolutely nothing to do with looks...but purely functionality. He wants to use his truck as a truck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is what you do: Go to Toyota.com and look for the 1-800 number under the Contact page. From there, give them a call and explain the situation. Be cool, be professional but raise hell.

It seems very UNREASONABLE and DANGEROUS to have to drive to a Toyota dealership with a FULL LOAD so a tech can look at it and say it's bottomed out. Trust me, Toyota corporate wants no such situation on their hands.

The dealership I was trying to get the TSB done through tried to get me to drive down there with a full load in my truck so they could look at it. They were assholes about it the whole time. Well, I certainly wasn't going to put myself at risk driving around town with a full load so some Toyota tech could look and see the leaf problem. Nope.

I called the 1800 number and complained.

Next day I got a call from a different Toyota dealership in town and was treated like gold. Got the tsb done, the tail gate tsb done, truck washed, and free oil change.

I paid 30 grand for this truck and I refuse to be treated like a Ford customer. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
Here is what you do: Go to Toyota.com and look for the 1-800 number under the Contact page. From there, give them a call and explain the situation. Be cool, be professional but raise hell.

It seems very UNREASONABLE and DANGEROUS to have to drive to a Toyota dealership with a FULL LOAD so a tech can look at it and say it's bottomed out. Trust me, Toyota corporate wants no such situation on their hands.

The dealership I was trying to get the TSB done through tried to get me to drive down there with a full load in my truck so they could look at it. They were assholes about it the whole time. Well, I certainly wasn't going to put myself at risk driving around town with a full load so some Toyota tech could look and see the leaf problem. Nope.

I called the 1800 number and complained.

Next day I got a call from a different Toyota dealership in town and was treated like gold. Got the tsb done, the tail gate tsb done, truck washed, and free oil change.

I paid 30 grand for this truck and I refuse to be treated like a Ford customer. Sorry.
AMEN!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

·
Registered
07 PRE RUNNER DOUBLE
32 Posts
:disappoin Should have figured this comming from a Ford owner.... :disappoin

In other words he has let a dealership push him around in the past and he thinks you should let your dealership do the same...and the only way to get things done is an occassional bribe to a service advisor...:headbang:
:rolleyes:

·
Hooray Beer
'08 DB LB 4x4
193 Posts
^ that's a good point but when I called the 800 number
I didn't get a peep out of anybody. What people are saying about the magnussen moss act is correct. Have them prove it. If all else fails just go to another dealer. I took my truck in with everythink you see in my
Sig, including the AAL. No trouble at all. And no bribe either!

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
So I don't know why a dealer should cover any warranty work if it's for modification (mainly looks when lifted IMO) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the truck's rear suspension
Wrong, I bottomed out with 300# in bed and two people in the cab. My suspension was stock.
If you do not use your truck as a truck, then do not comment on people that do.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts