Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am looking to drop my 2000 corolla a little, I've been looking into it and searching the forum here, seems a lot of people go with the Tein set. Anyone have any recommendations/experience with the Tein set or something else. Also I know there is the Tein S and H the S being a little more aggresive.

I don't want to go crazy with it because I live in a neighborhood with lots of speed bumps, but I do like the look and the added handling will be nice. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
1,121 Posts
if I had the chance to go back I'd have gone with H&R springs. Currently the TEIN H on the car are little stiff for the ride...cornering is great, but I'd rather have a stock ride when cruising.

·
1998 Corolla VE
1998 Toyota Corolla
27 Posts
Hi there

I am running KYB-GR2 W/ TEIN H. I Have been running on this set up for a couple years and I like it. The drop is not too much but it is noticeable visually and handling wise. I like to feel the road a bit and this set up alows you to do that. What kind of struts are you running? OEM aftermarket? I would change your struts if you are running OEM ones. The OEM struts are not very good.

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
I don't want to go crazy with it because I live in a neighborhood with lots of speed bumps, but I do like the look and the added handling will be nice. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
The GR-2's are great struts, from KYB. Tokico makes good struts as well. I'm looking at either Tein H or H&R springs, or even new stock, still undecided. Provided all your other suspension components are in good shape (springs, struts), the biggest bang for the buck handling mod is hands down upgraded sway bars. It's probably the first suspension mod I'll do, if the Boston streets don't grenade my struts first.

Don't forget some kind of camber compensation kit. At the very least, longer upper arm bolts. Eibach makes a kit on TireRack.com, and I've seen others. When you lower the car, the stock suspension will have excessive camber, which not only looks stupid, but wears your tires faster and can make your straight line handling more darty.

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
Very good point, what brand/size are you looking at ???????
All I can find so far are the Hotchkis ones. They're available on Tirerack.com. I'm looking for alternatives all the time.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
I have Eibach springs in my room since i dont have time or money (yet) to get them put on. And i go them fro 180$ new from the Wheel shop where i got my rims from. Only got them for that much is cause Eibach is not gonna make them for our gen corollas anymore.

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
I have Eibach springs in my room since i dont have time or money (yet) to get them put on. And i go them fro 180$ new from the Wheel shop where i got my rims from. Only got them for that much is cause Eibach is not gonna make them for our gen corollas anymore.

How long ago was that? I still see them online for $200+ :-/

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, and you have a place to work on it, springs are not a terribly difficult job, IMO. You can get a spring compressor from Auto Zone loan-a-tool program (may have similar at other auto parts shops near you) and the process takes about 4 hours. But if you don't have at least a Haynes manual, it's not that fun.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
How long ago was that? I still see them online for $200+ :-/

If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, and you have a place to work on it, springs are not a terribly difficult job, IMO. You can get a spring compressor from Auto Zone loan-a-tool program (may have similar at other auto parts shops near you) and the process takes about 4 hours. But if you don't have at least a Haynes manual, it's not that fun.
The wheel shop had called them and gave them the price and thats what they told me.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
well one shop told around 470$ since you have take out the backseats to get to the strut. That and the 4 wheel alignment. It will be less then that if you take out the back seats yourself

·
Big T Dizzle fo Rizzle
2001 Corolla LE
725 Posts
well one shop told around 470$ since you have take out the backseats to get to the strut. That and the 4 wheel alignment. It will be less then that if you take out the back seats yourself
On an LE it should be less because you access the 3 bolts on top of the strut thru the fold down back seats.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
On an LE it should be less because you access the 3 bolts on top of the strut thru the fold down back seats.
so what whats the difference between 02 CE and 02 LE?

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
so what whats the difference between 02 CE and 02 LE?
Mostly cosmetics like color matching painted parts. The rear struts are accessible from behind the rear fold down seats like mentioned. The CE has to have the seats removed to access them. LE has power windows, door locks, and cruise control standard.

·
Raging Raven
05 Dodge Neon SRT-4
1,095 Posts
Mostly cosmetics like color matching painted parts. The rear struts are accessible from behind the rear fold down seats like mentioned. The CE has to have the seats removed to access them. LE has power windows, door locks, and cruise control standard.
now i wish i had an LE now......:disappoin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts