Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my t tops leak like all hell and i need to fix them, is it just the weatherstripping that i need where the t top meets the car by the window itself? also my window leaks also right onto my shift boot, so when winter comes, i gotta figure soemthing out otherwise my shifter will be frozen, and that is going to suck. does anyone know this?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
jcwhitney.com has generic weather striping kits that you can use to refabracte or go to toyota and get a some new weather striping.

·
Registered
270 Posts
TTop leaks are common. Mine leaks, but not that badly. You mean your windshield is leakin, not your window right? I don't see how water could get to your shiftboot if it's coming from your window. If it's your windshield, you can always try the ghetto silicone method. As for the ttops, i suggest buying all new stripping from toyota. Oh i think some ttop stripping is for sale on ebay right now as well.

If you don't drive your mkII in the winter like me, you might just want to invest in a car cover to postpone the purchase of new stripping.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
found this info:

Best= new top and door seals and rod guides
Cheapest that still works= a bead of black silicone around the glass where the seal usually hits. (and filling any cracks in the molding itself) you can easily peel it off if you get the seals replaced.

* why on the glass?
because you can't see it when the top is on...and you woun't have an ugly mess stuck to the car when you top is off.

Please post direct quotes... The link you have posted will only work until Bill moves the old board to a new location.

Originally posted by jsantesson
I have a '91t. This has been discussed a few times. The passenger side on my car was leaking at the back corner pretty much all the time and when it rained hard my drivers side would leak a little. There is a factory fix that worked great for me so I figure I will share.

Parts you need from Toyota:

1. Order 4 of these # 63283-17040
2. Order 4 of these #63284-17030

Also you will need 4 metric screws:

3. 4 metric screws 3.5 mm thread x about 3/8 in length.

You have to take the t-top apart which is fairly easy and replace the guides inside with off center guides (the parts from above) and then the top will compress down harder on the seals. I live in Portland, Oregon ( rain capitol )and I have no more leaks. The parts from Toyota are approx. $20.00. There is no reason to replace all the seals at $300 forget that.

I hope this helps someone. John

Originally posted by John Sturgeon

Thanks for the info, John. This was the subject of my very first "how to" article:

http://mr2.noegruts.com/ttops/ttops.htm

Enjoy!
Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts