Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
NBBADTOYS
260 Posts
^Haha, that would proabably suck at the time, but that's really hilarious. :lol:
it was not at first because it set off all the airbags side curtain knee and both front Judge made GM give us our money back or give us another can you think which way we went

·
Registered
29 Posts
What is bs? The 20 2x4's? The Prius Electronics? The hateful stares? The $5000 savings?

You guys are a hoot!:lol:

I've driven the prius and even considered buying one until Toyota got greedy:thumbsdow

Yes, if you lift the tailgate, put down the rear and front passenger seat, you can haul the lumber:thumbsup:

The prius electronics? Well, they're good, but read some of the owner reviews and "issues" with them when they start wearing out (some prematurely).

The "silent" mode? I really did enjoy that when driving the prius:thumbsup: Kinda cool to be sitting somewhere and not be able to hear your car:thumbsup:

Hateful stares? I don't know that I'd call them "hateful?" If they really "hated you" they'd do what we did back in the 70's to the V-dub owners....pick it up and put it one a sidewalk:lol:

$5000.00/year fuel cost savings? Likely very true, depending on the are you live; however, thats simply replacing the #5-6k "premium" these things are now bringing.

For the cost now of a car they couldn't give away a few years back, along with the added premium, you can buy a hell of a lot of $4.00/gallon fuel;) for and XD, Corolla, Camry, yada yada yada yada.

It will take you several years to recoup the cost of the car in fuel cost savings.

Oh, and when the electronics do decide to go south, or the batteries take a dump, unless you're still underwarranty, be ready to get YOUR wallet out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I heard a report that Toyota is considering assembling the Prius in the US in a joint venture with General Motors. I am assuming this would be at their NUMI (New United Motors venture) where they assemble Corollas and Matrix.

What do you think of this? It's not official, last I heard, but they are considering it because they can't get them to the USA fast enough from Japan.

Would the quality suffer? I don't like the idea of GM building Toyotas. Had a few GM cars - I don't do that anymore.

I recieved the same information from an insider at my local dealership after thier monthly meeting.

The idea is to:

-Reduce production cost
-Increase production rate
-Lessen the wait time to the consumer
-Eliminate shipping costs (minimized to truck rates for point to point).

Didn't say "where" this was to take place other than one of the southern states IIRC?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would the quality suffer? I don't like the idea of GM building Toyotas. Had a few GM cars - I don't do that anymore.
You might recall the GEO Prism?

GM+Toyota.

Had one in 91. Great little cars:thumbsup:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
29 Posts
i like the look of the current prius
its much better than some toyota designs

like the xD.....i dunno what toyota was thinking with that one
:lol:Ok, maybe I missed something?:lol:

The Prius is one of the blandest designes I've EVER seen in over 50 years on this planet.
It's that way out of necessity. The aerodynamics are a big part of what makes the prius so efficient.:thumbsup:

Change it and you've got a Camry hybrid. With that goes the pruis' phenominal gas mileage:thumbsdow

As far as the XD, it's definately a "unique" design. At least it has some style qualities and potential.

My 08 gets 28 city and over 30 highway the way I drive which is anything but conservative:lol:. And it only has a little over 700 miles on it (in a little over a week mind you). According to owner reports, after breakin, the mileage jumps considerably into the 30+ city range and upper 30's-40 range highway:thumbsup:. Not quite pruis territory, but close enough for me.

Meanwhile, I'm not worrying about the batteries, electronics, got a fully equipped car, all for about 1/2 what I was being quoted for the prius.

At $4.00/gallon (uses regular fuel), I can buy a lot of fuel with that savings.

·
nukka
225 Posts
This may sound a bit facetious, but anyone that drives a civic hybrid then a prius, then buys the civic, has the mental capacity of a newt. The civic hybrid, is a buzzy, torqueless noisy wonder.

·
nukka
225 Posts
I recieved the same information from an insider at my local dealership after thier monthly meeting.

The idea is to:

-Reduce production cost
-Increase production rate
-Lessen the wait time to the consumer
-Eliminate shipping costs (minimized to truck rates for point to point).

Didn't say "where" this was to take place other than one of the southern states IIRC?

If I recall correctly (probably not) but the NUMMI plant in Cali is split in two sections. One is UAW workers, and the other is not. The shared platforms with the Matrix & Vibe, Toyota workers assemble the engines, trans, and chasis, then send them to the GM side where they make the Vibe. Well, take a wild guess where the vibe has its problems? In the UAW side. I also read an article in money magazine I think, where the cost per hour of UAW workers vs. Toyota workers is something along the lines of 80/hour for UAW, and 42/hr for Toyota... Can anyone verify this? Because if it's true, then wouldn't it be a better idea for the big three to follow Toyotas business model? Get the UAW to get their heads out of their asses, and realize that maybe a little less pay/benefits, is better than no job at all. Sorry, if the imports can make it work and still be profitable, you can't demand yourself and your value into making your employer go out of business, which is in effect what's going on in the big three, SPECIFICALLY GM.

·
93 ST184K
5 Posts
I've actually owned a NUMMI Geo Prizm. If you have owned a US market corolla built 1984-2002 or a US-market Matrix, then you have owned a NUMMI too.

There were very few things about my '94 Prizm LSi that were substandard in any way. I bought it with 20k miles on it and drove it for 190k more before it got totaled. I was grateful that it had the $75 Delco alternator instead of the $250 Nippondenso alternator, because it ate one at about 120k. It's worth mentioning that the Corollas were more expensive than the Prizms in those days, and both sold at a premium relative to the Civics and particularly the Sentras.

The only thing I could definitely point my finger at that was a GM defect was the radio power/volume knob, which broke off after being hit by one too many big cup in the cup holder. Everything else was pretty good. I can't say that my two Japanese-built Toyotas have been significantly better in the breaking-plastic-crap category.

As long as they follow TQM and hit the numbers, it really doesn't matter if GM or Toyota employees build anything. The problem is that the US automakers have been letting quality slide because they can't afford the UAW benefit packages. That's an accounting and cost problem, not an engineering or technology problem. I've toured the GM Powertrain Tonowanda engine plant recently, and I strongly doubt that there's an engine plant anywhere else in the world turning out better products. Their processes and QC were to world standard. The problem is the little stuff, not the big stuff.

Unfortunately, if the little stuff is a $0.10 connector that breaks stranding the car at 50,000 miles, then you have a big problem caused by little stuff, and a pissed-off consumer, who then buys a Honda.

It looks like GM will escape going bankrupt, which is sad, because chapter 11 would probably fix most of their problems.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
20 Participants
93vert
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing