Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just now noticed this, but thats probably because i'm getting accustomed to my car and starting to notice all sorta minor noises... Whenever I press the brake down a bit, then release it, on the way up the pedal makes a slight squeak noise. I lasts through the entire swing of the pedal to its normal position. At first I thought i just needed some WD-40 on the shaft that goes into the brake booster, because I noticed the sound seems to be coming from inside the passenger compartment. However when the car is off, i can press and release the brake pedal and there is no squeak.

The squeak is not always there even when the car is running, and somtimes it's more noticeable than other times. Is there something wrong with my booster? Power assist brakes are something I don't really know a lot about so it could be anything as far as I see it.

Oh yeah, car specs:

1996 Camry DX 5spd, 4cyl. 90k miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody has any idea what could be making the squeak? The braking performance isn't altered but if theres something that might go out I dont want to take chances with my brakes.

Thanks.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,865 Posts
same problem here on my 96, but mine squeaks in both directions. my temporary fix is to turn up the radio a little more.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
My car (see my signature) is doing the same thing right now. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the rear brakes. I have a reminder in my mx book to lube the brake shoe pivots back there the next time I rotate the tires.

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
182 Posts
Digger1 said:
My car (see my signature) is doing the same thing right now. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the rear brakes. I have a reminder in my mx book to lube the brake shoe pivots back there the next time I rotate the tires.
Mine are squeaking as well.... also from the rear brakes, but only the rear passenger side. I think Digger1 is right on about the sound coming from the brake shoe pivots and it needs to be lubed (if the squeak is heard from the rear). What type of lube should we use for that? Something that will last a while and can stand the heat...

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
97&02camryleI4 said:
Mine are squeaking as well.... also from the rear brakes, but only the rear passenger side. I think Digger1 is right on about the sound coming from the brake shoe pivots and it needs to be lubed (if the squeak is heard from the rear). What type of lube should we use for that? Something that will last a while and can stand the heat...
I've got a tub of Kendall Super Blu Multi-Purpose Grease L-427 sitting in the garage that I use for this. It is really old and the new formula may be different. Really, any good quality wheel bearing grease that says you can use it on high temperature disk brakes should work fine on brake shoe pivots.

Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Toyota Camry
3 Posts
This appears to be a chronic problem, I am having the same thing occur on my 92 Camry. Randomly happens when I apply the brakes, sounds like a low whining from under the dash. I was figuring maybe an air leak from the booster perhaps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would call this a fairly common, but easily fixed problem. The squeak comes from your rear brakes. Jack up the rear wheel, take off lugs and wheel. Then remove brake drum. Get a long screw driver and slightly pry underneath one brake shoe. This will expose the points where the show meets the back of the drum plate. Put just a small dab of high temp grease ($1 AutoZone) at those point. Do the same with the other shoe. Repeat process for other rear wheel. Should be good for another year of sqeak free driving.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
If its the pedal, theres only a few points that could becausing the squeak. So get a flashlight and look under the dash to where the pedal pivots. Put a rag on the floor to catch excess and spritz the pivot point with a good lube like break free. Also spray some on the rod too maybe. This should quiet it for a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts