Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I did a search and could find no info on my problem.

A recent post reminded me of a problem I've had with my truck since day one (see the signature block below for specifics on the truck).

Let's say I'm backing out of a driveway that has a dip where the driveway enters the street. As I'm backing into the street, steering wheel full right (or left, it doesn't matter), when the front end bounces into the dip I hear a loud metallic squeak (or screech).

I inspected the bottom front end of the truck and found that there was a small section of steering linkage that contacts the frame when the suspension is compressed at full steering lock. I've just been throwing some 2% moly grease on the contact point at every oil change to keep down the noise.

QUESTION: Does anyone know of a permanent fix for this problem?

·
Registered
406 Posts
are they the bump stops? If so, the ends can be replaced.

-Adam

·
Registered
15 Posts
nofear4189 said:
are they the bump stops? If so, the ends can be replaced.

-Adam
Yes they are only bump stops... the problem is that when you replace them they are only rubber and they will wear out again. I just don't crank the wheel all the way when I turn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 92 truck had the same problem you described. After replacing the idler arm, the sounds have all but gone away...some minor rubbing there, but not what it was like. The reason I did this was the mechanics had done some preliminary work-up to see what all was wrong with this vehicle. 154k miles, blown headgasket, valves, and rings, timing chain, and idler arm. All this has been completed now! I replaced the idler arm, the truck still needs some work, but its been neglected by previous owners... heck, its good to get dirty and succeed!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The problem is the nylon bushings on the steering stops. I had the same problem with my 88 p/u and my 94 4 runner is the same. you can get the bushings at your local toyota dealership and just put them on with a hammer

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Yes, the plastic cover on the stops wear out and cause "squeaks".
Common problem.

·
7MGTE/22RE
Turbo Supra
431 Posts
I fixed it with a new set of bumpstops from the dealership, and I always make sure the Metal dished side (the actual part where the Bolt stops) is greased up very well. It prolongs the life of the Nylon caps, AND if they should wear through, the grease prevents that annoying squeak. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts