Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple weeks my truck is squeaking, sounds like its coming from the shocks or somewhere around there. Do I just need to grease something or what? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your under warranty still go to toyota tell them you have a harsh ride don't say you have a squeak! they will give you a new leaf and fix the squeak for you. I ran out of warranty on mine, and they want like 300 to fix it for a squeak and for the other leaf its like a grand. so i'm saving for darkar leafs and getting coil overs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I shoulda given some more info! I have an 06 doublecab with 96000 km. I had the rear leaf tsb done already. They are seriously charging 300 bucks to fix a squeak? WOW

·
Registered
413 Posts
Squeaky rear end fix: (takes 5 minutes or so)

1. Put floor jack under trailer hitch and jack up truck...not to where the tires are off the ground, but just until it takes the pressure off of the leaf springs
2. Take a hammer and a big flathead screwdriver and wedge open the leaf springs about 6 inches from the C clamp thing that holds them together. There are two on each leaf pack, one in front and behind the tire.
3. Cut a bicycle tire innertube into four 4" strips and place the strips between the leafs where they touch each other at the C clamp. Do the front and rear on each leaf pack.
4. Do the other side.
5. take jack out from under truck and enjoy your squeak-free ride.

·
Registered
764 Posts

1. Put floor jack under trailer hitch and jack up truck...not to where the tires are off the ground, but just until it takes the pressure off of the leaf springs
You work under your truck while only being held by a jack at the trailer hitch? :eek:

·
Registered
413 Posts
You work under your truck while only being held by a jack at the trailer hitch? :eek:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope. You don't have to get under the truck for this mod. You can do it sitting on the ground by the tire and just reach in and do the work. You don't have to get under your truck at all.

·
Registered
210 Posts

2. Take a hammer and a big flathead screwdriver and wedge open the leaf springs about 6 inches from the C clamp thing that holds them together. There are two on each leaf pack, one in front and behind the tire.
3. Cut a bicycle tire innertube into four 4" strips and place the strips between the leafs where they touch each other at the C clamp. Do the front and rear on each leaf pack.
4. Do the other side.
+1 on this

I did it a few months ago and it ELIMINATED the embarrassing squeaks once and for all. All for about $4. Oh, and I bought a jack. I needed it anyway for things you do with a jack. That was about $100 and my wife wasn't happy but that's not what this is about. NO SQUEAKS!

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
Honda VFR800 & Taco
217 Posts
>>>> You work under your truck while only being held by a jack at the trailer hitch? :eek: <<<<<

I do, I do, I do, it is part of the adventure :lol::lol:

·
Banned
873 Posts

he is not lifting it off the ground... he means for you to unload the springs.

so you can access the rub points better.

unfortunatly i had the TSB done for bottoming out about 100,000km about 130k the squeak returned.

the answer is after market. the new springs still bottom out. they are poor at best.

cheers
Warts

·
Banned
873 Posts

4. Do the other side.
you should try use teflon patch.... prolly get it from any spring shop....

i would think the rubber will only last a limited time!a

·
Registered
764 Posts
he is not lifting it off the ground... he means for you to unload the springs.
If you're only supporting the rear of the truck by a jack at the hitch with it lifted over 12" (springs unloaded) you can get seriously hurt if it slipped off the jack or the jack fails while you're working on the springs.

I wouldn't do it. Support the truck properly with jack stands on the frame before working on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry for bumping and old thread. My squeak seems to be coming from inside the cab. Either the roof or the top of the dash, I can't really tell. I have noticed that is worse when I am going up a hill (paved.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sorry for bumping and old thread. My squeak seems to be coming from inside the cab. Either the roof or the top of the dash, I can't really tell. I have noticed that is worse when I am going up a hill (paved.)

Thanks in advance.
Well if the squeak is coming from the rear inside your truck, then lube that crack. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts