Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Corolla SE
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 Camry 'SE Automatic with almost 18,000 miles - that's right, low milage. This week the steering wheel started making squeaky noises when I turn it. It doesn't matter which way I turn, it will squeak and it doens't happen all the time. Should I be worried and what can I do about it?

NOTE: This started happening the day after we had got an 1 or 2 of snow. That morning when I opened the door to get the brush/scraper and little snow fell in the driver's side of the car. Perphaps a little fell on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same happened with my mom's 03 LE. Just get some white lithium grease or something of the sort, go under the dash, and grease the steering column. It's sort of near the base of the column.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Funny you mention this. I never read the Gen 5/6 section, but decided to today. My mom has an '05 LE I4 with 18k miles, and it JUST started to make a squeeking noise, and could not figure it out. I think thats what it is, haha.

·
Registered
1994 Camry LE
380 Posts
My last Camry (the '02 whiteLE) had the same problem. trdsupragt is right. lithium grease

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,246 Posts
damn, my 05 Camry has 24,000 miles. And mine doesn't squeak, but every once in a wile it kinda thuds.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
The steering shaft runs through a rubber grommet in the fire wall of the car. you need to lube up that interface, I am 99% sure thats where your squeak is coming from. I've had to do this on more than one car in the past.

Lithium Grease works, but is kinda thick to get down inside it.

a good teflon-loaded spray type lubricant works as well, with the little straw so you can get right down inside it.

this good stuff (made for guns actually) called Rem Oil works really well for me, you can get small cans of it at Wal Mart I believe.

just stick the straw down inside the gap, give it a short squirt at about 4 or 5 points around the shaft then start the car and do some lock to lock turns, should stop squeaking pretty much immediately

Good Luck

·
Registered
830 Posts
repocop is right, there was a post about this at one point. its the dust boot at the bottom of the steering column. almost all toyotas do it after a certain mileage for some stupid reason. but another thing to check out is the clockspring in your column. not as easy to get to as the boot, but i just had the squeak checked out and the guy heard it comin from the clockspring. that's a new one for me. just and FYI for yall.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
davinp said:
I have a 2003 Camry 'SE Automatic with almost 18,000 miles - that's right, low milage. This week the steering wheel started making squeaky noises when I turn it. It doesn't matter which way I turn, it will squeak and it doens't happen all the time. Should I be worried and what can I do about it?

NOTE: This started happening the day after we had got an 1 or 2 of snow. That morning when I opened the door to get the brush/scraper and little snow fell in the driver's side of the car. Perphaps a little fell on the steering wheel.

Check out these..........

ST002-03 STEERING COLUMN NOISE
6/13/2003 - 2002, 2003 Toyota Camry. Some 2002 – 2003 model year Camry (NAP) vehicles may exhibit a low frequency noise when the steering wheel is turned at low speeds due to friction between the intermediate shaft and grommet. Grease application has been improved.

ST001-06 STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT NOISE
2/16/2006 - 2003 – 2006 model year Camry vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB. 2004 – 2006 model year Solara vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown in this TSB.

Some customers may hear a clunk, pop, or knock type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this concern.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
'03 LE 4cyl checking in...
Getting the same exact thing.
Glad to hear they made a TSB for it.
What is my best approach to remedy this?
Will the dealer take care of it for me?
I suppose it depends on the individual dealership whether they would charge for it.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
If there is ever a TSB, or Recall, the work is covered by the dealer, free of charge.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Joel930 said:
Thank you very much ASG
NP. Let me know if you have any trouble with the dealer for it, or if they won't answer any questions. I know the guys at Toyota of Stamford personally, and can get info. :)

·
Toyota Collector
12,019 Posts
Had the same problem, I put Armour All on the rubber, seems to have worked great. Makes it slippery and Armour All tends to go right into rubber and plastic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ASG14 said:
NP. Let me know if you have any trouble with the dealer for it, or if they won't answer any questions. I know the guys at Toyota of Stamford personally, and can get info. :)
Thanks ASG, I will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ASG14 said:
If there is ever a TSB, or Recall, the work is covered by the dealer, free of charge.
Well the dealer will cover a TSB or recall if your vehicle is still under warranty. How does it work if no longer under warranty? They cover recalls but not TSBs? It does make sense they cover both regardless, since they're Toyota's mistakes.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Yes, warentee or not, your covered. Look at the Ford Explorer exploding tires. That was YEARS after they were made. :) Or the toyota sludge issue, which is a TSB I think. Good for cars up to 8 years. :)

~Adam

·
Banned
821 Posts
repocop said:
The steering shaft runs through a rubber grommet in the fire wall of the car. you need to lube up that interface, I am 99% sure thats where your squeak is coming from. I've had to do this on more than one car in the past.

Lithium Grease works, but is kinda thick to get down inside it.

a good teflon-loaded spray type lubricant works as well, with the little straw so you can get right down inside it.

this good stuff (made for guns actually) called Rem Oil works really well for me, you can get small cans of it at Wal Mart I believe.

just stick the straw down inside the gap, give it a short squirt at about 4 or 5 points around the shaft then start the car and do some lock to lock turns, should stop squeaking pretty much immediately

Good Luck
Correcto ... just lube up the linkage at the boot which meets where the linkage goes through the firewall .. just solved the same issue on my 98 ES300 recently!

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
Ok just a quick question...what EXACTLY is a TSB? meaing ? okay we went to the dealer today and they said its our intermediate steering shaft...our warrenty is OVER...they gave us the price of the shaft, tax and labour which came up to about 500 CDN! so was there a RECALL? because im really mad...500$ is gonna be a big dent in my wallet... so please help me guys

1 - 20 of 35 Posts