Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Tacoma PreRunner TRD with 70,000 miles. When it got cold outside I started to hear a squealing noise. I am 90% sure it's coming from the engine compartment. The noise comes and goes and I can't always reproduce it. The dealership can not reproduce the sound......but I don't know how hard they tried.

I noticed that I only seem to hear it when I am driving locally. For example if I am driving around 30 to 40 mph and I left off the gas and the rpm's get to around 1200 I will hear it. When I touch the gas pedal the the rpm goes up the noise stops.

I had the dealer replace all three belts and the noise is still happening.

Could it be that the belt tensioner/idler pulleys are going bad? Any ideas what it can be?

I have an extended warranty to 80,000 miles so I hope if it's a big money item it will be covered.

·
Registered
750 Posts
^
I
I had the dealer replace all three belts and the noise is still happening.
Try reading the post, before trying to answer the question, please.

It could be a few things, like the PS pump or the alternator bearing, but where it happens only at a specific RPM it may be tricky to nail down until it gets worse. Does it happen while still, or only when moving?

As for the warranty, if a specific problem is reported before the warranty has expired, it should be covered until they get it fixed properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chirping Noise and Cold Weather

I have a 2004 toyota tacoma with 53,000 miles on it and everytime it gets cold, i have a chirping noise around 30-40 mph. Its only if you feather the gas pedal...it goes away if you accelerate. It seems like it's in the back of the truck, rear axle or drive shaft. Can anyone please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was a post on Yahoo Answers:

I've had this problem for years and it's such an easy fix. The drive shaft has two grease fittings near the differential. One is inside the U-joint and the other is outside of it. Grease those and you'll be in business.

The squeaking comes from the drive shaft being on and off load. The drive shaft moves back and forth and up down when you accelerate and decelerate. When you decelerate it takes the drive shaft off load and begins to rub against itself. That's where the squeal is coming from!!

My truck's grease fittings were completely empty. I had to pump the grease gun about 15 times to fill it up. Now it runs like a champ.

Asker's Comment: I greased the fittings and they were empty. Thought I had a huge problem and it cost me next to nothing to fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.