Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 sienna and the front wheel passenger side squeal while it's running. I check the brake already and I guess it's all good. I'm thinking about the bearing but I'm not sure. Does anyone tell me how to replace the wheel hub assembly?

·
01 Solara/12 Highlander
62 Posts
On the Sienna, the rear just unbolts but for the front, you need special tools and a press to get the bearing in and out of the yoke.... I'd take it in....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. How about if I will replace the whole wheel hub? Is it easier? Do I need to have a wheel alignment after I do it?

·
01 Solara/12 Highlander
62 Posts
The front bearing is pressed into the yoke. Replacing the hub and bearing still means you have to take the everything off.. And I have changed out wheel bearing and hub units and never had to get it alligned. My son just did his on his Imprezza, he took it to his automotive school and it took him and another student and the instructor 8 hours and a 50 ton press to get the bearing out and reinstalled....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Well I guess I have to live with the squealing for a while because It's an old van and I don't know if how much to fix it in a shop and if it's worth it. Thank you for the info.

·
01 Solara/12 Highlander
62 Posts
I saw estimimates of $700 to change one out... The son's Imprezza squeeled for a month and by that time the bearing was pretty torn up. My 2000 Sienna is in great shape so if it was me I would go have it done... they are good vehicles and it's cheaper than buying a new one or another used one... imho Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But I'm not 100% sure that the problem is the bearing. Because it's not squealing all the time it's running. Sometimes it squeals sometimes it's not. But most of the time it squeals though. And I jacked up the wheel and hold it top and bottom and moved it, there was no play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts