Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to add a squirrell cage fan in my amp box to keep the air moving in there, I would like it to be on while the amp is. Can I run it off the amp's power and ground, or off the remote and the chassis. If nothing will work I can simply run a switch into the dash, but the nI run the risk of forgetting it and wasting the fan's life. Any ideas?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you use the remote you will need a relay ( a remote lead wont handle that much current directly) I have been considering a fan for my head unit. CW

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
^ Agreed.

Use the remote/amp turn on lead from the headunit to trigger a relay.

You need a 12VDC automotive relay. Either spst (single pole single throw) or spdt (single pole double throw).

http://www.nteinc.com/relay_web/R51.html

The relay with have 4 (spst) or 5 terminals (spdt).

How to wire it up
-----------------------

87: +12V constant

87a: not used. 87a only exists on a spdt relay.

85: remote/amp turn on lead from headunit.

86: ground

30: positive output to fan.

The red (positive) lead on the fan gets wired to pin 30 on the relay. Black lead on fan goes to ground.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is the double throw relay for, multiple applications? also will your post make alittle more sense once I acquire the relay, cos I'm a little confused. I really do appriciate the resonce though, it seems very thorough and I'm sure it will be helpful once I understand it ;) also can i take the 12+ off the amps distro block, or am I better off wiring it elsewhere where it can be independantly fused by whatever fuse is on the wire I splice in the factory fuse box?

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
97avalonxls said:
what is the double throw relay for, multiple applications?
In some applications you need a spdt relay.

One example would be a starter disable relay. Where under normal conditions you want it connected.

But, when the alarm is armed and you try to turn the ignition, nothing happens.

What the relay is doing is disabling the starter when the alarm is armed and receives a trigger from the ignition switch.

A relay is nothing more then a electromechanical switch.

For what your doing, you can use either or (spst or spdt). If you use a spdt relay, you just won't use 87a.

also will your post make alittle more sense once I acquire the relay, cos I'm a little confused.
One you have the relay you'll see what I'm talking about.

It'll either have 4 terminals (spst) or 5 terminals (spdt). The terminals are labeled with a number (87, 87a, 85, 86, 30).

also can i take the 12+ off the amps distro block
Thats fine.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome, thanks a lot man.
btw do you have a thread telling the stroy of that piston head, that loos like it was no kinda fun;)

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
97avalonxls said:
awesome, thanks a lot man.
No prob.

I'll get you a pic of a relay and draw up a wiring diagram.

btw do you have a thread telling the stroy of that piston head, that loos like it was no kinda fun;)
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=20319&highlight=3SFE+Internals

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=38640&highlight=3SFE+Internals

The links to the pictures don't work anymore. But, I think I still have the pics on my friends server, so I'll try to fix the links.

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
thought you were doing a ported box avalon?? If so, a fan is unnecessary. The Sub moves a TON of air through the port/vent

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Wiring diagram
-----------------------

Relay
-------------

Ignore the diode soldered across pins 85 & 86.

P.S. I fixed the links to the pictures.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=38640&highlight=3SFE+Internals

thought you were doing a ported box avalon?? If so, a fan is unnecessary. The Sub moves a TON of air through the port/vent
I am going to add a squirrell cage fan in my amp box to keep the air moving in there, I would like it to be on while the amp is.

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
lol, so i had a rough night SUE ME!!! :nana: did u warn him about interferance???? geez...flamed

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hehehe, thanks a lot guys. it is crystal clear now. what's all this about interference?

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
well for instance, we used a few stinger audio brand fans, but unfortunatly they were not properly shielded, and induced noise into the system.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the fan wasn't shielded, or the wires weren't? How does one prevent this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts