Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been posted before and I've read most of them, but ... To those who have SS bull bars, how do they withstand the weather, do they rust after a while, are they strong , mounting , how is it, etc. Your opinions please. I'm planning on getting hunter brand, I think they look pretty nice.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
It depends what grade of SS it's made from. Some SS will never rust. Some cheaper SS has carbon in it and it can get some surface rust. If you polish and wax it occassionally then it should last as long as your truck.

·
20K...All is good!!!
331 Posts
No rust here. I've got the Westin and I love it. Good price, great quality and easy install. Merely cosmetic though, but that's what I wanted!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
300 series is far more corrosion resistant than 400 series (which contains carbon). No stainless is 100% corrosion "proof". If you are using dis-simular mounting hardware it will be more prone to corrosion. A little routine maintinence should keep things in check.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Silver-Bolt said:
300 series is far more corrosion resistant than 400 series (which contains carbon). No stainless is 100% corrosion "proof".
Within the 300 series, usually the higher the number, the more corrosion proof it is.

The 400 series is generally stronger than the 300 series, but I'm not sure if the corrosion goes up with the numbers.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Generally, stronger steel means more carbon. More carbon means more rust. But there's a limit. Too much carbon will make the steel break instead of bending.

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
Pb said:
Generally, stronger steel means more carbon. More carbon means more rust. But there's a limit. Too much carbon will make the steel break instead of bending.

where did you find ur black bull bar and how much?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Ebay. $230. but I think I've seen a better price than that recently on Ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts