Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

my name is leigh, im 17 and live in austraila, now i brought a 1991 celica ST-184R, now apart from a fryed denso rotor cap, 4 dead sparkplugs, lol,2nd gears kinda worn and dead, a rusted sports exuast that now been replaced and dead rear struts she runs fine.......oh and shes done 300,000Km's, lol

but with all that in mind shes starting to go dead as i have fryed piston rings, my gearbox is still dead, a oil leak from somewhere under the engine and just the fact that i want some more power so i just payed $2000 for a Spec A GT4 motor straight from japan with 55,000km's on the clock, and its got a new gearbox with it, have i done the right thing here?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
bad news.

that mottor i you just bout, is for a Celica Alltrack. no big deal, but the problum is, you need a ECU, a wiring loom. and you still need a gear box, the trany on the mottor as of now is a all wheel drive trany, and you would need to replace the intire rear end of the car. now im not positive, but a ST-184R is the ST model? or the GT model? if its the ST, you will also need to get the Suspention out of a GT. all and all you payed 2000 for a mottor. the trany i just an extra. as for tranys. since thats all up in the air and shit. try and find a Mr2 Turbo Trany. its Tuff as nails and has an LDS in it. and bolts right up, and is a manual trans axle.

welcome to the "i own an old ass Celica Club" what collor is yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mines a reddish marron, lol, and its a total front cut of a GT4, so it has everything with it, including a gearbox and wiring and shit, plus my mates dad is head mechanic for toyota in my area so were in luck there!!. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
allright. then you will need to get your hands on a the mounts, and rear nuckels and CV Half shafts for the rear end, not to mention the drive shaft. in honesty i think it would be a cooler nicer smarter and faster rout to just get your hands on the mr2 Trany, but thats just imo.
send pictures. oh ya, make shure u get the hood to. or get ready to cut your stock one.
 

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
He don't need to touch the rearend, its a front cut, doesn't come with rear axle. I believe you can block off the rear shaft openning and just use it as FWD.

If you got a 2.0L or 2.2L engine now, it'll drop it. If you got 1.6L, you'll need to cut and weld engine mount.

Do a search here on 3S-GTE swap for more info.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
Pineapple said:
I believe you can block off the rear shaft openning and just use it as FWD.
No... you'll need a FWD tranny. That will work, but there will still be a substantial amount of power being transfered towards the rear... in essence, you'll be using about 20-30% engine power...
 

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
Even without the complete rear drive shaft, diff and everything? You may lose a few % but not 60-70%. The tranny only driving the front, nothing is connected to the rear to rob power. In fact with reduced load, the tranny will be more efficient running FWD then AWD. It will not be as efficient as a FWD tranny but not too bad.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
Pineapple said:
Even without the complete rear drive shaft, diff and everything? You may lose a few % but not 60-70%. The tranny only driving the front, nothing is connected to the rear to rob power. In fact with reduced load, the tranny will be more efficient running FWD then AWD. It will not be as efficient as a FWD tranny but not too bad.
actually, from experience with an ST165, the tranny will deliver more power to the end with the least load (in this case, rear-drive)... so % losses will be big.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
:eek:

can some one come in hear and lay down some hard facts for these people..

YOU CANT USE an AWD Manual Trans Axel as a FWD and expect it to work "well" or even with in Acseptable Limits.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
Zrain said:
:eek:

can some one come in hear and lay down some hard facts for these people..

YOU CANT USE an AWD Manual Trans Axel as a FWD and expect it to work "well" or even with in Acseptable Limits.
Is that not what I've been trying to explain? hehe...
 

·
GT-i Crew
Joined
·
632 Posts
You CAN'T put the GT4/Alltrac tranny in a ST182/184 becuse the bulk of the tranny itself, the transfer case and the rest of the assembly WON'T FIT...!!! Period.

The GT4/Alltrac floorpanel is DIFFERENT than the one on your regular GT/GT-S to make room for the transfer case.... SO NO, IT WON'T FIT UNLESS YOU CUT YOUR FLOORBOARD AND YOUR FIREWALL.
 

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
Joined
·
2,714 Posts
Kwanza said:
actually, from experience with an ST165, the tranny will deliver more power to the end with the least load (in this case, rear-drive)... so % losses will be big.
Ok, so you'll need to lock up the diff to the rear. Don't even know if that's possible :p:
Didn't know the front won't fit. Only thought you'll need to cut the pan to put in the rear diff.
I know a full FWD to AWD conversion doesn't worth it.
Doesn't someone used the AWD tranny on Camry?
Take it easy guys, we're just trying to ask questions and learn :thumbup:
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
lcarocha said:
You CAN'T put the GT4/Alltrac tranny in a ST182/184 becuse the bulk of the tranny itself, the transfer case and the rest of the assembly WON'T FIT...!!! Period.

The GT4/Alltrac floorpanel is DIFFERENT than the one on your regular GT/GT-S to make room for the transfer case.... SO NO, IT WON'T FIT UNLESS YOU CUT YOUR FLOORBOARD AND YOUR FIREWALL.
Are you sure? This I'm not sure of 100%... but I don't think it's true. Why would toyota do this? I know the trunk pans are different for the rear diff, but all of the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Celicas do have the tunnel on the underbody for the rear driveshaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
lets just make this simple
LeaThaL


Get a Rebiult Celica GT Trany, or get your old one rebiult. and if u have the cash, have a LDS instaled into it..
dont feal bad about geting the trany as part of the 3sGTE u got.. trust me a 3sGTE with 55k on it is a prity good deal.

just sell the trany on E-bay or to another one of us freek's.
 

·
Immortal
Joined
·
332 Posts
Zrain said:
lets just make this simple
LeaThaL


Get a Rebiult Celica GT Trany, or get your old one rebiult. and if u have the cash, have a LDS instaled into it..
dont feal bad about geting the trany as part of the 3sGTE u got.. trust me a 3sGTE with 55k on it is a prity good deal.

just sell the trany on E-bay or to another one of us freek's.
Agreed... a better choice than a GT tranny would actually be an E153 tranny with LSD. This tranny came on the MR2 turbo... and a non-LSD version came on the Camry/Solara V6...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol, ok now that we got all this outta the way, i think i will go get a MR2 trannie, sell the one that comes with the motor for the $$. or get a rebuilt one from a cilly, and yeah, thanks for all the help and info guys, its been a big help


 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top