Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted this before but was a little uncertain about the responses. I have a 95 camry and the car has started to stall when im either in neutral or at a stop. It doesn't always happen its pretty random. Anyone have any ideas on what it is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you keep your foot on the gas in neutral, does it still stall? If not, you probably either have a spark plug or spark plug wire that's fouled.

Jason

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i have my foot on the gas it won't stall. How could you tell if it was a spark plug?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same problem with my '93 Camry. It's been 3 weeks now that suffering and taking chances driving it. I've read most of the posting regarding stalling, hesitation and dying on this forum. I also did some off the advice from some members posted before but still dont have luck on figuring and fixing the problem.

I have already change the distributor cap and rotor. Change spark plug and even clean the throttle body and still doing the samething. I've brought it in for diagnostic for 2x now and paid $78 each but did'nt find any problem. It's like everytime I bring it to the mechanic the problem goes away and if I'm driving it, it will just happens. Any idea of whats going on and advice will be greatly appreciated.

====
'93 Camry LE
4 cylinder
141K miles

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
Have you tried a new ignition coil? I had a stalling problem when slowing down, and the coil fixed it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ecucio said:
I have the same problem with my '93 Camry. It's been 3 weeks now that suffering and taking chances driving it. I've read most of the posting regarding stalling, hesitation and dying on this forum. I also did some off the advice from some members posted before but still dont have luck on figuring and fixing the problem.

I have already change the distributor cap and rotor. Change spark plug and even clean the throttle body and still doing the samething. I've brought it in for diagnostic for 2x now and paid $78 each but did'nt find any problem. It's like everytime I bring it to the mechanic the problem goes away and if I'm driving it, it will just happens. Any idea of whats going on and advice will be greatly appreciated.

====
'93 Camry LE
4 cylinder
141K miles
my 93 did the similar thing 2 years ago, and it was the engine temp sensor malfunction, when the engine is warmed up, the fuel pump still pumping a lot of gas to the engine thinking engine was still cold, and flooded the engine with too much gas and stalled.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Your O2 sensor could be going bad

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Wolf, Yes I have change the distributor (whole assembly) and still do the same thing, lucky enough AutoZone still accept it for return. Then the tech at AutoZone suggest to change the igniter but no return policy on Electronic he saids and it cost $150 to replaced.
How could I check the igniter if this is working good?

Rapeacivic, is the O2 sensor easy to change and how could you test if this is going bad?

Thanks for all the help and suggestion guys... will try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe its a bad fuel pump. It pump may not be pressurizing the system enough (example, at very low RPM its not pressurizing the system, at high RPM, the pressure may be low, but enough to run)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Search this site for ECT (engine coolant temperature ) sensor. In general warm stalls are related to EGR valves stuck or the ECT is defective and is sending a signal to the computer that is interpreted as a cold engine. Reuslt more gas into the engine and the car stalls. Changing the sensor is a piece of cake and it cost at a TOYota dealer no more than $40. I suggest you search this site regarding this. Good luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just an update. I did all the advice you guys posted and my car is still acting weird. Replaced the spark plug, rotor, distributor cap and even change the distributor assembly and clean the TB. I also check the ECT but still giving me a problem. I noticed that when you gradually step on the gas and once it reach 2000 RPM it will just choke/hesitate and drop to ~1400-1500 RPM and goes up again and loops but when it passed the 2000 RPM it does not do that. Have any of you guys experience this problem? I wonder why does it do that and it's probably why if I'm cruising at ~55-60 MPH I feel the hesitation and at the stop light it will idle just fine for a minute or 2 then will just die intermittently.

Any advice is good and appreciated. Thanks guys, I am also thinking bring it again to a repair shop for 3rd diagnostic now that I found out about the loop at 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OH! forgot to mentioned that... new fuel filter too it's $14 at autozone so i said what the heck change it. I change the distributor assembly so I redo my timing so I guess it's good. It was ~10-13 degrees advance.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Make sure the airfilter is ok. Check all the vacuum hoses for cracks. Check the throttle position sensor.

I'm assuming that there were no codes found, when you took it in, so that should rule out most of the sensors that are left.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts