Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Camry V6 LE
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday when i was comming back from the auto parts store while i came to stop i thought i had a short circuit om my ampliffier on the back bacause i had a bunch stuff on my trunk and when i was comming to a stop i heard the stuff in the back all go foward so then i hear bump in the trunk and then all of a sudden my engine starts to jump/ stutter hesitate really hard and while that was going all my lights started to come on and off like there was a short going on. my headlamps and gauge cluster was doing the same but my engine did not die. so i pull over and check the trunk to see if there was a short in the trunkand when i opened it there was no visible sight of smoke or burned wires nothing so then then close the trunk and keep going. then about 400 feet later there was another stop. so i starts stopping and when i pressed the gas to go and it did nothing, the car started to roll back so i then look down at the gauges and the engine was dead all the lights were on. this time when the engine died it did not sputter at all. atleast i din't notice because i kind of has the stereo on a bit loud so i then call my dad to come and help me check it out and when he gets there like 15 minuits later i try to start the car and it did like nothing so later i get home and check to see if has had a short somewhere but i could find no evidence on the wire that i though has shorten. Now today while i wnet with my mom to pick up mu little sister from school while i was at the entrance i had to quickly stoped because soem moron got in front of me and guess what? MY FREEKEN ENGINE DIES ARRRGH. so i was pissed because i was at the entrance with cars behind me and my mom and me had to get out and push the car to the ther nearest parking space but i couldn't park in there because i cannot of steer and push at the same time so i park it behing another car. Man i was so enbarrased that that had happen to me. so a minuit later i attemp to start it and and did not even bother to turn on the starter, probably because i had not turned the key to off after the engine died. so i turn it all of and then turn it back on and it started like nothing has ever happened to it so i then i park it and leave home walking and get my dads cr stiing in th egarage since my house is't that far away. so i went back because my mom had a doctors appointment. two hours later i come back and get it and it starts and runs like nothing and i bring it home. So now my dad and me are thinking that it's the fuel pump because we had a minivan that had simmilar symtoms. there is no check engine or truble codes ( i used a scan tool from auto zone) and the battery light is not on eighter. do you guys think that it can be the fuel pump too? Oh and i changed the fuel filter a few months ago so that cant be it.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
wierd, sounds like it could be pump, also could be a leak in the lines, but id try pump first.

·
Registered
96 Camry V6 LE
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's defenetly the pump because now i remembered that soem times when i would start the car after sitting all day i could hear the pump making a some what buzzing noise, but then it would go away afetr like 30 seconds. my parents don't have much money because of bill morgage and little work ( my dada works in contruction and when it rains he doen't work) so I guess that the cam will be stiing in the garage for a few days or weeks. rightow my dad it letting me use is new car because i have to use it to go to school and stuff.

·
Registered
96 Camry V6 LE
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well today i went to get a new pump. so after installing it i went for a test drive and guess what?........... I stalled again. so now i have pinpoint it to a electrical short because when i was driving it a few housr ago when it was dark all my lights whent off for like 2 seconds while i was taking a left turn, i had the blinker on and when the lights started comming on the blinker and all the lights start comming on and off very quickly, i could of hear the turn signal binker go click click click clickclick very fast so then it happens again and again and on the last surge i saw smoke comming from the hood. so i quickly go go home and pop the hood and i later discover the source of the problem. It was my positive treminal cable that was very very close to the crise control, i could see a big chunk of metal that was metted and burned and white, that pice of metal was from the cruise control motor that it did not have a cover on it and my battery does not have the metal holder. so then my dad put it on since i had it on the garage floor because one day i was trying to put it on but i coun't because the camry was in an accident before i got it and the area was damaged now that i was repaired before i bought it, the person who fixed it din't put it on. so we put it on and i put some elecrtical tape on the cable and the metal surface. that will only be a tempoarry fix. I will go to the auto parts store and get a new cable and terminal since they were damaged. so now i basicly put in a $144 dollar fuel pum and a $15 dollar strainer for nothing. i am thinking of taking it out beceause it in noisy and i suspect that it is pumping too much gas in to the engine, but ill se tommorrow. i am really sleepy so i will post the rest tommorow.

·
Registered
96 Camry V6 LE
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the positive cable and the problem has been fixed. But now with the new fuel pump it really seems like in hetting horrible gass mileage because before i installed it my tank was filled up at the 3/4 mark and now 15 miles later its near the half mark. the pump is also noisy at idle.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
wow....don't tell me it was just a loose connection at the battery or rust or something....now that's a bummer that nobody told you to check that as one of the main trouble-shooting steps...but regardless, good for you for figuring it out before you went and had to run down ALL your wiring and relays :thumbup:

was the fuel pump an oem replacement?
and if it's really that bad, you may as well return it and say that it's ridiculously loud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.