Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1992 Camry with the 2.2 4-cylinder and 204,000 miles. Recently, I replaced the alternator and ever since have had issues with the car stalling when it's warmed up in drive. I can drive 70-85 mph on the freeway no problem, but in town when you barely touch the throttle and the rpms climb, the car wants to stall as soon as you let off the gas (unless you continue to accelerate). I only notice this in stop and go situations and when I am on rough streets or on an incline like going into a parking lot or driveway. Also, it appears the starter is going bad as I have to turn the ignition a few times just to get the car to crank. When it does turn over on a cold start, the engine struggles to fire up. So far, on my second tank of gas, I noticed when the tank is full this issue is much more prevalent than when I am below 1/2 to 1/4 of a tank low. So far I am stuck between a vacuum leak somewhere or an issue with fuel delivery, yet the car doesn't misfire and accelerates completely fine. Any advice?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,970 Posts
Since this has occurred after your alternator change it would be prudent to get your charging system load tested.

A slipping alternator belt might be the problem, or a battery going bad or a defective alternator, especially if it's a reman from the parts store.

·
Administrator
14,122 Posts
Yeah, the ol' "whatever got worked on last is probably the cause" adage applies. Like Stillrunning said, get the chargning system checked. Most auto parts stores and some places that sell batteries have a diagnostic machine that'll check it out thoroughly. And they'll do it for free. Call around for one near you.

If that's not it, my next suspicion is that the IAC valve (Idle Air Control) is sticking. Does it start easier if you feather the gas pedal a bit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the car does start easier when I feather the throttle. Also, I noticed that a friend drove my car months earlier and noticed this issue as well but I never really noticed it. I've devised it to be an issue with either the IAC or with fuel delivery, mainly being a bad/going bad fuel pump or fuel filter. I presume the starter issue is my starter going bad as when the car has been driven it the starter engages fine and the car starts up as it did previously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts