Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into a 96 supra tt. It's automatic though. Has anyone converted a standard transmission to a manual 6 speed? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
I believe you mean automatic to 6spd conversion. Manual and Standard are the same thing.

As for the conversion, I'm sure it's been done... go look at supraforums.com

·
MK3 kid in a MK4 world
MA70, JZA80, AW11
48 Posts
First off you'll need the V160 gearbox, shifter & bracketry, and driveshaft. The flywheel and clutch assemblies are easily found in the aftermarket. The hydraulic stuff (clutch master & slave, and lines) and the pedal assembly. I know that in 93.5-95 that all the holes and such for mounting the manual trans hardware (pedal, etc) was already there. If its not, you might have to drill on your firewall a bit.
Beyond the simple hardware there's two major concerns:

1) the rear differential ratio in your stock TT auto is a 3.73-1. The Getrag V160 was intended for use with the 3.13-1 rear standard in the 6-spd models. What this means is that 1st gear will be very short, and you will be shifting a LOT. I would recommend finding a 6-spd rear differential or pehaps find a differential company that can make you a less insane ratio for use in your existing diff. The 6-spd unit is also a Torsen LSD, which is desireable for road racing and general curvy roads.

2) the cost of the swap. A V160 gearbox in good condition will sell for ~$2500. Shifter bracketry will hopefully come with it, you can get a B&M or C's shifter if it does not come with one. The other parts (clutch master & slave, pedal, etc) are pricey from the dealer and almost impossible to find in salvage yards due to the rarity of the MK4. In total, expect to spend at least $5000-6000, depending on the parts bought (snazzy clutch & flywheel, 6-spd rear diff, etc) and how new they are or if they are used. If you got used pieces for things like the flywheel and clutch and various hardware, you might be able to make it cheaper. However, I'm a firm believer that if its worth doing, its worth doing well. Its a Supra, use quality parts.

Hope that Helps.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bro, that really helped. After hearing that, i'll do some more shopping. Just seems a waste to have a supra tt without a stick.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Auto tt supras are faster than manual supras and they hold a TON of hp/tq.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mcelligott said:
Auto tt supras are faster than manual supras and they hold a TON of hp/tq.
The TT's A340E tranny is actually relatively weak compared to the 6spd. They can't hold 500+ ft-lb very long. People either have them rebuilt to hold more power or swap it out for a TH400.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Jeeves said:
Doesn't mean they're better.
Well that depend son what you want to do with the car -- drag racing = use the auto supra tranny.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well regardless.....who would want a automatic supra tt?? Do you have a vagina?? If you can't drive stick you shouldn't own a sportscar period, well unless you're a woman hahaha.:lol:

Nothing beats manual shifting:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts