·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's a few pics of what i did this weekend

http://x7m3.freewebpage.org/doorspage.html

used duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint, gloss black

once i find a place that sells leather paint im gonna do the inserts grey.

my advice to anyone who does this, make sure it isn't too cold. right now (new england) it's like 45 farenheit outside, and the paint got sooo messed up from the cold. i ended up having to keep my car on with heat on with the doors closed, open the door, spray a layer, then close the door again to keep the paint and surface warm

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i ended up using 2 cans for both doors, so one per door. i put 3 coats on each door.

another thing i learned from this was that you need to be careful with taping. when i painted and let it dry, it became like one piece of paint over both the tape and the vinyl part i was tryin to paint. so when i tried to take teh tape off, it would tear the layer of paint off :eek:

nexttime im gonna either take the tape off right after painting before it dries, or im gonna like use a knife to just cut the paint before taking the tape off

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
that's beyond nice man...

THATS SICK!

I think a lot of people would appreciate if you typed up a step by step process that you did. (cough) :)

Well done! Keep us updated!

·
Danno
1989 corolla GT-S
1,502 Posts
very very nice lol i want to paint mine now... will that paint fade at all in the sun ???

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ummm i just did it like 2 days ago so i dont know what the long-term durability's gonna be like, but ill let you guys know if i see any deterioration

its not actually that great of a job.... the pic isn't close-up enough that you can see the little problems i had with taking off the tape. i'd like to re-emphasize for all you who will do this: prep work is really important! do a good job taping! and make sure you take into consideration what will happen when you try to take the tape off!

the step by step process isn't anything special, in fact it could be better but im just lazy and didnt feel like going all out. all i did was tape stuff off, and thoroughly cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol. next time i think ill use sumtin a bit stronger to make sure i do a good job cleaning the surface. after that i just sprayed on 3 layers, doing my little open door-paint-close door routine to keep the paint and surface warm

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha nice to hear compliments from the guy who'se interior i use as an example :D

its only this way for now, im gonna have dark grey highlights instead of the cream/tan color you've got. i might need to talk to you later bout painting the rest of the interior cause i tend to have problems figuring out how to remove stuff (dreading the dashboard removal already)

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
That's coming along great. Should look frickin' awesome when you're finished.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont have much time to work on it..... im a highschool student, and the soccer season is still going (playoffs baby!)

since its cold here (boston area) i dont think im gonna do much more until spring, cause it was just a pain to deal with the cold screwing up the paint. mabye if i have time this weekend ill do some more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts