Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my starter of 94 5fse is dying. i have to hit the starter to get it to work. when i have to do that, whats goin on inside the starter?
is it fixable?

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you have to hit it to make it turn your problem may be as simple as a loose battery connection. Inspect that wire for any wear, breaks or corrosion. Also may be worth replacing your battery if it needs it, before buying a whole new starter.

- Paul

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Your missing teeth on the starter gear. When you hit it with a hammer it sometimes turns the gear to let a tooth grab. Eventually you'll shear all the teeth on the gear. You can rebuild a starter but its much easier to trade it in for a remanufactured one.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
nope, its the motor its self, some of the elements inside are fused and are getting stuck between the magnets

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
It can do that too. I have seen starters that had teeth missing from the gear and had the same problem as you. Could be a couple of thngs. They're not too hard to change.

·
Naturally Aggravated
77 Posts
This is a common problem with starters. It means the starter solenoid is going out. This essentially a magnet that pushes the starter gear to engage with the flywheel. On older vehicles this was replacable seperately from the actual starter motor. Now it is all self contained and you have to replace the whole unit... not a bad idea, because once the solenoid starts to stick the starter motor prolly needs new brushes etc... I advise shopping around and getting a lifetime warrentied one (I know Shucks does these - prolly the only kind of parts I recommend buying there!) but I tend to keep cars for a while!

The missing teeth thing is much less likely... although I'll admit it can happen, but usually involves missing teeth on the flywheel as well. Not a good thing!
----

Just noticed bassthrive's post, and yes low voltage (bad battery, bad connections etc..) can do this as well. ALWAYS make sure you have enough juice FIRST THING if you ever have starting problems! :hammer: Sometimes I forget to mention stuff like this because out here in the hills we learn this shit in 3rd grade!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts