Toyota Nation Forum banner

Starter Problem

11K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Strum 
#1 · (Edited)
My son was getting ready to go out last night and his car wouldn't start. The lights were real dim so this morning I installed a new battery. I turn the key and heard several "clicks" and now when the key is turned, I hear a single "click". I assume the starter.

1) Does anyone have a diagram of the starter while connected to the engine? To be honest, I can't locate the starter.

2) Do I replace the starter or just the contacts inside?

It's strange, my son left work last night and was home for about an hour before he was about to go back out. He had no problems before with starting the car, no strange noises, nothing. So right now I am only assuming the starter.

He has to commute to school on Monday so any quick advise or thoughts is appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to mention it's a 1997 Corolla
Thanks

#3 ·
Now it's not making any "clicking" noise, but sounds like something is spinning. I'm not sure what the issue is. Someone in the neighborhood thinks it's the starters solenoid.

Any thoughts before I start disassembling?

I'm in northern Ohio so I'm going to have to push it in to my garage so I can work on it - too cold outside.

#4 ·
I brought it in my garage and here is basically what I have done:

Removed the battery so I could follow the cable to the starter (still can't locate it, feel like an idiot). Jacked up the car to look from underneath, still no luck.

Threw the battery back in and had my son turn the key. basically what I hear is a "popping" noise and then a steady buzz/hum while the ignition is still engaged. The buzz/hum seems to come from underneath the dash board and not the engine compartment. I've tried to track down noise in an engine compartment, so I know how it can fool you.

Well for the moment I'm stuck.

#5 ·
you should really get a Haynes or Chilton book. Or go to Autozone and ask them for an exploded diagram of your engine bay...such as this one:

you can see the starter right under the intake plenum behind the engine bay. Your best chance to get to it is from underneath, behind the engine. You will need to snake it through maybe the fenderwell? I heard that's the easiest option..to remove the driver side fenderwell. Good luck!

#6 ·
you should really get a Haynes or Chilton book. Or go to Autozone and ask them for an exploded diagram of your engine bay...such as this one:
You're right, I probably should. I was looking for manuals here like they have in the Camry section. I have two Camry's, 1 Corolla and 1 Highlander, but seldom work on cars.

you can see the starter right under the intake plenum behind the engine bay. Your best chance to get to it is from underneath, behind the engine. You will need to snake it through maybe the fenderwell? I heard that's the easiest option..to remove the driver side fenderwell. Good luck!
When I couldn't locate it from above, I thought about removing the fenderwell, so apparently that's not a bad idea. It's difficult to see from above, but I was in the right location. As I already read, it a tight work area.

Again, thanks.

#7 ·
One more odd thing, I installed a new battery (DieHard) this morning and probably made 5 to 10 attempts to start the engine. With the small amount of usage, the headlights are already very dim. It's as if there is something draining the battery.

That sort of ties in with when my son couldn't start it yesterday. He initially starts it up when he leaves work (no problem). About an hour later he goes to leave the house and car won't start and I had him turn on the headlights to see if it was the battery and the lights were dim.

#8 ·
Given your description of symptoms the easiest and quickest fix is to replace the starter. The solenoid and contacts can be replaced individually but you will need to find these parts and install them.

Also check the battery terminals and cables for corrosion and damage. Check both positive and negative cables and the ground point. You might try jumping the power cable to the starter motor to see if the battery cable is OK.

If you think there is a parasitic drain install an ammeter between the battery terminal and battery cable terminal. With all electrical items off the load should be around 30ma.

#9 · (Edited)
I removed the wheel well panel to get a better look at the starter. After I removed the panel I decided to install the old battery and the car started right up.

toyomoho, I think you might be on to something regarding the cables. I started it, drove it around and restarted it four or five times and no issues. Maybe new cables are in order.

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
Okay, the car has been running fine since Febrauary and today it wouldn't start.

I came home from work and took a look at it - lights were dim, but my son advised me earlier in the day they wouldn't even come on. I get a single click, but nothing more.

Here is the puzzling part that I never came across before. I installed the battery from my Camry in the 97 Corolla and a strong die hard would not turn on the lights, instead I am getting a rapid clicking noise coming from the larger fuse box near the battery.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong?

Edit: Here's another thing that I have not witnessed before - My son was standing at the side by the drivers right fender and when I went to start it up, a spark shot off the positive terminal.

#12 ·
Ok, pencils down and put away your manuals, a couple of people figured it out.

Some of you can go back to thinking of names for your cars:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.