Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 82 won't turn over when she gets a little hotter than normel and I turn her off for a bit. I turn the key and I can hear a little click from the back of the motor but that's it. After I open the hood and let it cool she usually starts right up after 5-10 minuets. But on a really warm day recently she would not start even after letting her sit for 20 minuest with the hood up. But she fired right up when someone jumped her. I know the battery is good. After the jump start I turned her off and then she started right back up just fine. I'm thinking that it's a bad relay. Any sugestions would be very helpful. Thanks for your time.

R

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to change the oil sometime in the next few days. So think I'll get to a local auto parts store and buy some sort of heat sheild wrap for the header. Think I'll also put a few new hoses in and drain the raditor. Think I'll try some of that new Royal Purple (purple ice stuff).

R

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,674 Posts
Heat shields wont do shit.. unfortunately its a problem toyota didn't think of when they put the starter right under the damn exhaust manifold.. specially on the 4AGE motors. :disappoin

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 78 Toyota Corolla had the same problem.

Simi Valley Toyota (in Southern California) found the problem. I didn't see them do the procedure but they added a voltage relay and my problem went away.

Instead of charging me $429.00 for a rebuilt starter plus installation fee, I was charged $90.00 and I returned the starter that I had already purchased from them for a refund.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
REN69 said:
Heat shields wont do shit.. unfortunately its a problem toyota didn't think of when they put the starter right under the damn exhaust manifold.. specially on the 4AGE motors. :disappoin
That must only be on the older generations, both the FE and GE i've had have the starter under the intake manifold... pain in the ass to get to really coz its right at the back of the motor..

·
Registered
3 Posts
My son's 78 Corolla Liftback is having the same problem in the mornings. When it's hot, there is no problem. Last week, after getting off work, it would only "click" when he tried the key. Another fellow worker took a piece of metal to cross over and started it that way. If in any other car, I would say the Solenoid needed replacing.

There is no Toyota dealer in my area. Parts stores are either local or Autozone. One wants $60 ($20 core charge) and the other wants $70. Found online RockAuto has an OE rebuilt for about $40 (including shipping)

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's been about a year now and my Toyota has started everytime since the voltage relay was added by the Toyota repair place.

Too bad when I had the cat replaced the mechanic (not the Toyota repair place by the way) didn't feel motivated to do a real tune-up, instead it appears they let the cat do the hard work of having burning off excessive fuel. A year later, and now the car is failing smog.

How can a car that passed smog with flying colors one year earlier, fall so hard so fast? My theory is the replacement cat was not very good OR it had to work extra hard to burn off excess fuel because the carb was not properly tuned.

But if one installs a new cat, doesn't that allow the mechanic to be lazy and not do as a good of a job tuning the car because a new cat can handle excessive fuel, but it will also burn out the cat much quicker?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.