Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our Gen3 V6 often starts and then dies from a cold start. When it happens, there is a lot of vibration, the engine seems to choke and then dies. Steping on the gas for about 1-2 minutes is the only way I have found to keep the engine alive. Does anyone have an idea about what might be the problem? The car is immaculately maintained. Thanks.

-drako

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
ignition or fuel system. check your plugs and the fuel filter,air filter. also clean your tb, and look for the tread on here on free v6 mod it shows how to take out the back part of the tb and it makes it alot easier to clean it out, oh also look for any loose hose's from the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
same thing happens to my gurl's car. first i checked the fuses and relays, and from my experience found out that 92-96 le v6 camry doesn't have some fuses and relays that 4 bangers do. there's labels on the cover saying there should be but there not, as with a friend's car too(same model and year). anyways talked to me friend and she also has the same problem, even more wierd. car starts and all, but at times cel comes on and seems like fuel is being cut off. if you rev it for a while check engine goes away.

are you having the same problem drako? bump!! for more input

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It happens when cold starting the car after a night in the garage the vast majority of the time. A mechanic friend couldn't figure why this is happening. Once the engine is left to run for a couple of minutes, all is well; the car runs like a charm. I haven't checked the fuses, but will do this weekend when I have some free time.

I am not sure if it feels like the gas is being cut off. The engine just dies. Keeping the RPM up for a few minutes after cold start helps.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
what year? if it has a 3vz-fe your cold start injector may need service

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
the engine in 92-93 v6 camrys is called 3vz-fe, it has a cold start injector that will cause the car do do exactly what drako is describing if it fails

·
Registered
20 Posts
would i have to replace it or will fuel injector cleaner help? will cel come on if the cold start injector is clogged?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
No it's easy to clean. It's not complicated. Just some type of petrolium cleaner (engine, carb, whatever you got) and some scrubbing.

HERE is what you should do. By cleaning the intake you will pickup the 5-10hp the engines looses from EGR buildup ever 6 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i dont get it, that post only mentions about a tb. i dont think it mentions any thing about the cold start injector. i seriously doubt that cleaning a tb alone will result in a 5-10 gain. maybe better throtle response.

anyways, i'm new to the toyota scence. first time i've heard of a cold start injector. my guess is that cc/min is a lot less than the primary injectors, and is used to fuel the motor until it's warm then whiches over to primary injectors. kinda like FCs(rx-7)please educate me and inform if im wrong guys...

question, if the cold start injector is clogged will fuel injector cleaner help or is my best bet is to replace it.

pcv, fuel filter, spark plugs, and primary injectors are my other guesses as to what the problem is.

any other suggestion guys?

not trying to jack your thread drako, just trying to find out what's worng with your car and my gurl's

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Re-read the thread. The power loss is caused from the entire intake track from the back of the throttle body's butterfly, all the way down to the top of the valves are covered in burnt on exhaust. That leads to less power.
Here are some pics I just uploaded to help you see what the cold-strat injector is, what it looks like and what it *should* look like.

Dirty:

Clean:

Installed:

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
:thumbup: couldnt have put it any better myself

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
The cold-start injector is wierd in that it was only used on the 3vz-fe v6 from what I understand.
You are also correct in that it is a low cc/min fuel injector that the ECU only fires when the engine is in the state of: cranking and is at idle while cold.

Fuel injector cleaner will clean it, but the injector is used such a small amount of time compaired to the EGR being active 100% of the time. I doubt injector cleaner would make a dent in fuel flow.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Disconnect the electrical connector. Disconnect the fuel line (it does have pressure so it's going to give you some spray! (not too bad put a rag around it)

Unbolt the two bolts. Walk it to the sink and hit it with some sandpaper. You can see I used a foam sanding block, which btw, work wonders for cleaning valves if you ever take any out yourself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts