Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone has encountered this before. Intermitantly I will turn ignition switch from run position to start position and truck starts and then dies within a few seconds after starting. Returning the ignition switch back to start position causes the starter motor to run however, truck won't start and the starter motor continues to run with when ignition switch is returned back to run position. Turning ignition switch to off position stops starter motor.

Returning switch to off position each attempt after the first malfunction prevents starter from continuing to run but stopping at the run position and attempting to start again in start position puts the starter motor in the runaway mode until ignition switch is turned to off.

Usually takes 3 - 5 attempts going to off position, then to start before motor starts. Then it might not do this for two weeks. Yesterday it did it and it did not work after 10 attempts. Truck had been running and all was warmed up when it failed after I came home and then went to leave 15 minutes later. I walked away and let it all cool down for hours. Tried it again and on the second attempt, it started up.

I know I need to get this figured out and fixed because it's getting worse. I just don't want to take it into a dealership that is 45 miles away and have them tell me, "Can't fix it if it ain't broke." I am a service technition of Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and heating (ACR) so I know about intermitant electrical problems. My non-professional hunch is to suspect the ignition switch.

Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Starting Problem (runaway starter/starts and dies)

Thread bump in hopes that ACR Man - OR someone - has the answer.

I have two 5.7l 2008 Tundras and I live in Nebraska. One is a CrewMax that I've owned since 2009 and my wife drives it. The other is a TRD I bought in September of 2013 to replace the 1999 Silverado that I drove. We've never had a problem with the CrewMax BUT I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME STARTING PROBLEM with the TRD. In my case it occurs only during the winter - it occurred several times last winter and has just begun again.

Initially I thought that it was a problem with the transponder key so I swapped keys and that didn't help. Next I thought it might be a problem with the anti-theft system because I had similar problem with a 1999 Chevy Malibu that required me to pull the key, wait 10 minutes and then it would start, but there's no flashing code prior to this phenomena to indicate that. So the next "keep it simple" thing I think it could be is the shift from summer blend gas to winter blend gas here in the North. So I'll do a fuel filter change and switch gas stations to see if either help. After that I'm at a loss.

I've spoken to the dealer (they do my oil changes) and to a local private shop that's done my "heavy" mechanical work for 30 years. The dealer "has no idea" and wants to me bring it in - my gut tells me that they know WTheck is going on but want the service charge. The local private shop hasn't seen this problem.

So please, if anyone has the answer to this mystery please help ACR Man a senior citizen from Nebraska out.

Kind regards and Merry Christmas,

Doug - Old man from Nebraska.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Immoblizer Ecu is failing or water intrusion in your harness. The edu is big money even if you do it yourself. Requires the dash and heater box to be removed. There is a service bulletin on it somewhere. Get the Dtc read probably have a code. Check out these two Tsb numbers
T-SB-0220-08
T-SB-0078-09

Should give you some info.

·
Dubt
1 Posts
I have a 08 limited which had that problem also. I took it to the dealer and it was a new problem to them. They had it over 2 weeks trying to find the problem. They replaced some fuel sensors and some other parts and called me that it was ready and about 600 dollars later I get in vehicle to leave and guess what. It did it again with service man standing right there. Well about a week went buy and they said it was the fuel pump and some other fuel related part. The fuel pump had previously been replaced about 13 months earlier which had a 12 month warranty. I do not believe it was the pump causing the problem but maybe the parts related to the pump. Any way another 800 dollar bill . I have never had the problem again. I had to pay for their trial and error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
bmeadors
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing