Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally turned the key while the car was already started like 4-5 times (different occurances), I sometimes forget the car is on because it is so quite, or someone in the car turns on the car while I dont know it, so I try turn the key again and i hear a bad grinding noise? What can this do? like what are all the negative effects of doing this?

(now this is a good reason to have exhaust, so you know your car is on or not :D )

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
its ur starter that ur hearing.....make it a habit of staring at ur tachometer before u start the car..that way u will always know if its already on or not...

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
probbly won't blow it up..but it will strip the starter gear then it won't turn the flywheel then your car won't start

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
could this damage the flywheel?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Can it really do that much of a damage?

I had this happen to me about a week ago when I brought my car in to get my tires balanced/roatated. Since my ignition was changed out before, my car requires 2 keys, one for the doors/trunk and one for the ignition. I did forget to tell them that but didn't expect the guy to be that much of a dumbass and actually try to start the car with my other key when the key already doesn't turn in the ignition. Instead he forced it and got it stuck in the 'Start' position for a good 1-2secs of grinding till he realized what was happening. Not only that he did it again after he pulled the car in, I'm like what the hell. Needless to say I was pretty pissed because my ignition turns with my door key now. Anyways sorry about the random rant, this thread just reminded me of it. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
A couple of times, likely no problem. Repeatedly, you can shear the teeth off the starter pinion or the ring on the flywheel. Expensive way to discover when your car is running...

Bob

·
Oh Glayven!
134 Posts
Ahh yes, the joys of having an avalon.
I did that once when car was on, and the car automatically turns off to avoid that problem. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts