Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I need some serious help and I'm sorry for crossing over but the previa side is a flat-line
I was driving my van (97 previa) like 3 weekends ago and it just died out, NO warning sign what so ever. It will start up again at any time, the problem is that it will not stay on. It does no difference if I step on the gas to try to keep it going. I replaced the fuel pump because a friend suguested that was the main culprit, but problem is still the same (the gas filter was replaced in mid summer) I checked for gas in the return line, ok, meaning that it's getting some gas . It's not staying on long enough to register any trouble codes
(I have an OBDII scanner and the repair manual)
I checked the fuse & most of the relays (main relay, EFI relay, fuel pump relay, Circuit Opening relay). I even try another computer, no luck.
I should mention That the spark plugs, cables & cap & rotor are pretty new. I tried a diff. coil, still the same problem.
Imagine yourself turning on your car and as soon as it goes on you turn the key off. I can do that all day until the battery is drain.
I read a lot of your post suggesting the IAC, I took my off and this is what I found, it was not that dirty,but cleaned it any way. The resistance is good 21.5ohms when cold. What I did notice is that, it's like half open when no voltage is present. When voltage is apply according to the manual, it open 95% and close 95% (is this operation normal for the IAC?)
What would make that van start like everything is normal then just cut off like is missing something. WHAT IS THAT SOMETHING ?

Can anyone please direct me to the component that I might have over look. I Will appreciate greatly any good advise.:confused:

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
wow
dont know what to tell you
i know it sounds stupid but anyway...you got gas right??
you cleaned the TB??

make use there isnt any connectors that arent disconnected??
i mean on my camry theres this connector thing for the air flow something thats in the intake and if that isnt connected my car wont stay on
you checked the fuel pressure?
checked all fuses under hood and in the car?

her94previa said:
Hello Everyone, I need some serious help and I'm sorry for crossing over but the previa side is a flat-line
I was driving my van (97 previa) like 3 weekends ago and it just died out, NO warning sign what so ever. It will start up again at any time, the problem is that it will not stay on. It does no difference if I step on the gas to try to keep it going. I replaced the fuel pump because a friend suguested that was the main culprit, but problem is still the same (the gas filter was replaced in mid summer) I checked for gas in the return line, ok, meaning that it's getting some gas . It's not staying on long enough to register any trouble codes
I checked the fuse & most of the relays (main relay, EFI relay, fuel pump relay, Circuit Opening relay). I even try another computer, no luck.
I should mention That the spark plugs, cables & cap & rotor are pretty new. I tried a diff. coil, still the same problem.
Imagine yourself turning on your car and as soon as it goes on you turn the key off. I can do that all day until the battery is drain.
I read a lot of your post suggesting the IAC, I took my off and this is what I found, it was not that dirty,but cleaned it any way. The resistance is good 21.5ohms when cold. What I did notice is that, it's like half open when no voltage is present. When voltage is apply according to the manual, it open 95% and close 95% (is this operation normal for the IAC?)
What would make that van start like everything is normal then just cut off like is missing something. WHAT IS THAT SOMETHING ?

Can anyone please direct me to the component that I might have over look. I Will appreciate greatly any good advise.:confused:

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ if his maf/map sensor was disconnected, then the car wouldn't even start at all, and it will just keep cranking and cranking

since you've checked that the spark is okay, the fuel is okay, and the air is okay, the only culprit left is electrical, really....

at this point, I would say that it's worth taking the van to the dealer or your mechanic and payng the diagnostic fee for them to find out what's wrong- after that, you can try fixing it yourself

·
Registered
07 XLE Camry
1,299 Posts
my starts up just fine without it (maf/map). BUT dies after just 1 second

Eye8Pussies said:
^ if his maf/map sensor was disconnected, then the car wouldn't even start at all, and it will just keep cranking and cranking

since you've checked that the spark is okay, the fuel is okay, and the air is okay, the only culprit left is electrical, really....

at this point, I would say that it's worth taking the van to the dealer or your mechanic and payng the diagnostic fee for them to find out what's wrong- after that, you can try fixing it yourself

·
MSKHAN
Toyota Camry LE '02
26 Posts
Hi,
Have u checked the fuse box? I don't remember the exact name but I had a similar problem - way back on a 1986 Corrolla and one of the fuse was shot. Before you do anything else, check the fuses as well.

Good Luck.
MSKhan

·
MSKHAN
Toyota Camry LE '02
26 Posts
Hi,
Have u checked the fuse box? I don't remember the exact name but I had a similar problem - way back on a 1986 Corrolla and one of the fuse was shot. Before you do anything else, check the fuses as well.

Good Luck.
MSKhan

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
you said all day till the battery dies ....... start it check the voltage from the alternator till it dies. i had one that would put power out for like 5 min then just cut out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys for all the help, I haven't been able to do much trouble shooting because I get home about 8pm and the temperature has been really cold around here. Once I get this problem solved I’ll post the solution.
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Starts and Dies: Solution

her94previa said:

FINALLY. Long story but one of a kind.
Well I finally got the van going; Problem area was the MAF sensor. I went to the dealer to buy the IAC seal and some screws and I got lucky and briefly spoke to a mechanic. He told me to check the TB large hose for cracks and the MAF sensor.
When I first started trouble shooting this problem One of the first thing you do is a visual inspection of connectors, hoses, etc. then you start taking things apart. At one point I had to take out the filter box to get to access to another area and that's when I notice that my air filter had been a victim of freaking field mouse. Somehow it had tunnel his way up into my filter box and had nipple a hole about 1"X2", I couldn't believe that shit!.
A lot of pieces were still in the bottom of the box but we all know that some pieces were sucked in. That's why I had to take the TB hose off and some other small hose to make sure they were not clogged.
This MAF sensor is built in such a way that it complicated things for me. It's like an empty large bullet facing the air filter and the opening has a plastic crosshair(+) with the sensor wire all the way in the back, so if something gets inside its almost impossible to come out because will be blocked by the crosshair, so no flipping or shacking would have helped me. Other MAF sensor I seen have a flow thru design, something like blowing air thru your fingers. After very close inspection, was I able to see inside the bullet and saw about 4 tiny pieces of paper all the way in the back covering the wire sensor. Some times taking every piece apart might look like an over kill and time consuming task but is sure needed in some cases. I believe this would have been a "looks like this, looks like that" for any repair shop.
I placed a metal screen in the beginning of my air duct; I will not be a victim again. :naughty:
I have declared war against those criters; they cause me to loose a lot of time and some money.

Thanks for all the advise, good looking out. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Now I feel the van’s idle a bit high and is not coming down even after warm up. I need to look into that. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.