Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a '98 Camry with the I4 engine and recently I have noticed that after driving it long enough for the engine to warm and stay at operating temperature, a good bit of steam starts to come off of the radiator. Now I have watched the temp gauge and it appears to be no different than it used to be, staying just under the halfway mark, so I am slightly confused as to what this steam could be. I have also recently topped off the coolant reservoir, and it does seem that the engine is using up a little bit of the reservoir.

So what I'm wondering is if there is a leak somewhere in my cooling system, and the engine temp just isn't being affected, or if there is something else that this steam could be coming off of...

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
hmm..check around the top portion of the radiator for very fine cracks. If so....start searching TN for "radiator replacement"

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The coolant leak is most likely to slow to affect the engine temp gauge. The top and bottom of the radiator is plastic and tends to crack over time. The radiator core could also be leaking and any steam would naturally rise up to the top of the radiator. Also check for leaks where the radiator hoses attach to the radiator.

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
I had the same problem, and the radiator cap's o-ring was broken, so steam escaped from the top of the radiator. Try getting a new one from your local parts store, and see if that fixes your problem...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just took another look at it after I drove it this evening, and it appears that there is what looks like evaporated coolant on the top of the radiator, aka the plastic, so looks like you guys may be right with the crack in the plastic on the top of the radiator...so this means probable radiator replacement, correct? or can I possibly use some kind of radiator stop-leak?(if it exists), if not, anyone have any idea how long the problem will take to expand to the point where I can no longer drive the car?

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
No....those "stop-leaks" won't work on plastic. Believe me ...I'm sure most us here have tried that... I even have an old bottle in my room sittting there...doing nothing.

Your best bet is to go ahead and change the radiator.

I guess you can drive it another couple weeks? Keep watching that spot to see if it grows. And keep premixed cooolant ready in the trunk?

When it's time to change and you'd want to do it yourself, search here and you'll see a lot of write ups...I wrote one even so if don't find any, I help you out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts