Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Profound!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the weight difference between these two are? I was wondering if I should go for the 16" aluminum wheels on the regular SR5 Tacoma or stick with the cheaper ($400) steel rims. If the steel rims are lighter, I'm going to stick with steel!

Thanks in advance!

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Aluminum wheels are going to be lighter than steel ones.
If you can afford it, Id go with aluminum wheels. They wont rust and the lighter weight will give you slightly better fuel economy.

·
Profound!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain_Toyota said:
Aluminum wheels are going to be lighter than steel ones.
If you can afford it, Id go with aluminum wheels. They wont rust and the lighter weight will give you slightly better fuel economy.
Do you know this for a fact? I know generally speaking, aluminum is lighter than steel. However that is not always the case with aluminum wheels. Some are VERY heavy depending on style and coatings and the type of aluminum used.

My basis for this question is about fuel economy and accelleration.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Well, its been my experience that you will get better fuel economy with alloy wheels.
My F-150 reg cab 4x4 has steel wheels and the F-150 Super Crew (same as a Toyota doublecab) 4x4 has alloy wheels and they routinely pull better fuel economy with that truck than I can pull with mine.
I think the Toyota steel wheels look cheap compared to the alloy ones.

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
if you go Aluminum, keep them clean in the winter because of the road salt, they will get get bad and impossible to fix if you go more that 1 month between cleanings and keep a nice coat of wax on them for protection. JMHO

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
I have the TRD SPort 17x 7.5 Aluminum rims for 3 seasons, and 16 x 7 Black steelies for winter snow tires. Very little diffference weight between the two. The 17's may be lighter by a pound or two... For one set of rims for life of truck, Alloy is better just take care of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the weight dif between steel and aluninum depends on if its cast aluminum or forged. forged is without a doubt lighter but cast aluminum can be heavier than a stamped steel rim but it also depends on the wheel you choose.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
Go with whatever wheels you like better - in looks and whatever is cheaper.

Having lighter wheels isn't gonna save you that much in gas. In fact, you probably won't even notice it. There's more gas savings to be had with your driving habits than there are in putting lighter wheels on.

Steal might rust but alluminum will corrode & get pits.

·
clean water
07 silver dc lb 4wd
402 Posts
Toyota fj se (cast aluminum) wheels and stock steelies are within a pound of each other. I forget which is heavier, but it dosn't really matter.

Any weight savings in the wheel is usually offset by a bigger tire anyhow. The stock dunlops are a light duty, featherwieght tire. Toyota puts them on to get good mileage ratings. That's about all the dunlops excel at, imo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For example my stock wheels weighed in at 32 lbs. I am now riding on Enkei light weight aluminum rims that weigh in at 18 lbs. So I took off 56 lbs from the vehicle and 28 lbs. from the drive train. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Im running 20's on my rig and regret getting them. They look good but I sacrifice power and mileage for looking good. I guess that's why I don't drive it often. I think Im gonna go for the mini-swamper look for my next set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts