Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a bit of slack in my steering box. I got my brother to move the steering wheel back and forth and have confirmed that the input shaft to the steering box moves but the output shaft doesn't. Is there a way to set the steering gear backlash or do I need a new steering box?

I'm driving a 91 toyota pickup v6 ext cab 4x4

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
I have not checked out a 4x4 but my 2wd only has a sector shaft adjustment. There is a locknut and adjustment screw on the top of the steeringbox.

You can loosen the nut and tighten the screw to take up some slack in the box. Don't crank it down though as it is possible to damage th steering box.

with the steering wheel in the centered position, loosen the locknut and with gentle pressure tighten the screw till you feel it bottom out. then back it off a bit. you should do this while you lightly rock the steering shaft back and forth just off center with your other hand.

If you get it too tight you will find that the box binds in the center of it's travel and will follow which ever direction you last turned the wheel (memory steer).

Like I said though, Don't crank it down tight.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vicoor said:
I have not checked out a 4x4 but my 2wd only has a sector shaft adjustment. There is a locknut and adjustment screw on the top of the steeringbox.

You can loosen the nut and tighten the screw to take up some slack in the box. Don't crank it down though as it is possible to damage th steering box.

with the steering wheel in the centered position, loosen the locknut and with gentle pressure tighten the screw till you feel it bottom out. then back it off a bit. you should do this while you lightly rock the steering shaft back and forth just off center with your other hand.

If you get it too tight you will find that the box binds in the center of it's travel and will follow which ever direction you last turned the wheel (memory steer).

Like I said though, Don't crank it down tight.
Thanks bud, I thought there would be this locking nut. I remember seeing them on my Dad's old chev, I was hoping there was one on my truck as well. I will heed your warning on overtightening the screw. Thanks again.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yea i had to do that on my 2wd when it had manual steering, the box was starting to wear a bit. like vicoor said dont go too tight, youll end up breaking something, and that snot good when it comes to steering.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tightened down on that adjustment screw and backed it off 90 degrees and all the slack is gone. No binding or stiffness and all the slack is gone. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts