Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1996 T100 Extra Cab 4x4
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-
This forum has been extremely useful for me. I'd consider myself a "lurker" so far working mostly from past posts. I'll get some pics of my ride up soon. I'm finally working on getting some pro comp black wheels and bfg mt's to finish things off.
To the point, I have a distinct "clunk" that only occurs when I go over bumps and the steering is cranked to either extreme. A good example would be pulling in and out of my driveway; when I exit in or out with the wheel turned all the way, I get the noise/clunk. I recently rebuilt my idler arm. It fixed the steering slop, but not the noise unfortunately. Any good ideas are welcome!
Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know about '96s, but on my '94 it is/was the steering stops. If so, they came from the factory with plastic caps which eventually either wear through or off. Just put some grease on the stops ,which look like rounded bolt heads and are located behind the brake rotor, and the concave receivers on the lower control arm. Mind sounded like a pop-creak-pop-creak or like an old giant rusted bedspring.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,467 Posts
Going over bumps will probably be yer sway bar bushings and end links. I replaced mine with the polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension fer about $40. I've put it in a thread in this forum. :D

·
1996 T100 Extra Cab 4x4
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow, I wish all fixes were that easy!! It was the steering stops. It sounded MUCH worse than it actually was. Yeah, squeaky bed springs is a good description. A little chassis grease, and presto! My sway bar end links look good so I may as well let a sleeping dog lie.

Cheers!

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,467 Posts
I'd still double check those sway bar bushings...especially the one on the right. It only takes a 12mm socket and 2 bolts...and it's off. Mine was no longer round...it was oval and the rubber was worn through completely. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,467 Posts
As I mentioned in this thread how easy and what part numbers to git at yer local AutoZone store... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts