Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
straight cash homie
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this issue for the past year and it's driving me nuts :headbang:

I hear this rattle happens coming from in the steering wheel column area when I drive over bumpy roads during morning hours/colder temperatures, and I'm trying to find out if anyone here has the same "issue" as I do. I've had my 09 XRS (early 2008 build) at the dealer once, but they couldn't duplicate the sound when I took it in for the recall work and got a rental car. I just talked to my service advisor and because of the rain here in California, they don't want to diagnose the problem. So I'm trying to see if anyone here has had the same issue, and if so, if they know what the exact issue is. I was hoping the tech would've diagnosed it right the first time, but in the RO, they just wrote that they removed a water bottle (in my cup holder) and were unable to duplicate.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
That's a new one for me. Haven't seen anyone complain about that issue. But that said, noises that "appear" to come from one area of the cabin can actually be comeing from another - and simply reverberating around. Has anyone in the passenger side heard the noise from the same area? Is there a particular road/weather condition/temp where you can duplicate it?

I feel your pain and know what you're going thru. My old 09 was the same way - but eventually after many many dealer visits I was able to resolve them. Keep looking for ways & conditions to duplicate it and grab a friend for the ride.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
check the steering colum case/cover itself, i mean the lower half of it, its just plastic and it could have come loose so you might just have to click it back into place.

·
straight cash homie
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a new one for me. Haven't seen anyone complain about that issue. But that said, noises that "appear" to come from one area of the cabin can actually be comeing from another - and simply reverberating around. Has anyone in the passenger side heard the noise from the same area? Is there a particular road/weather condition/temp where you can duplicate it?

I feel your pain and know what you're going thru. My old 09 was the same way - but eventually after many many dealer visits I was able to resolve them. Keep looking for ways & conditions to duplicate it and grab a friend for the ride.

I forgot to mention, the tech took it for a test drive with me aboard, and was able to duplicate a little of the noise. However, the roads around the dealer weren't that "bumpy". But they did another later one later when I wasn't around, and said it was the cup (according to the RO). I'll take it back and make them give me a rental car so they will fix it right.

Speaking of rental cars, I don't think Toyota was this generous before with rental cars for warranty work. Last time, I got a 2010 LE, so I guess it might be great to take my car in again. :lol:

check the steering colum case/cover itself, i mean the lower half of it, its just plastic and it could have come loose so you might just have to click it back into place.
I'm hoping that is what the technician would do or has done, since it sounds like an easy fix. However, they might be lazy since it would be warranty work, and they don't pay as much.

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
There is a TSB for a clunking noise coming from the intermediate shaft (from the column to the rack), this may be the issue. If not, it may be inside the column itself (usually in the tilt/telescoping section).

Replacing this includes replacement of the electric power steering motor, which requires removal of the dash. It doesn't take that long to do (about 2 hours), but it's something to be aware of.

Obviously they will need to confirm where the sound is coming from first before they start replacing parts.

Jeff

·
straight cash homie
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a TSB for a clunking noise coming from the intermediate shaft (from the column to the rack), this may be the issue. If not, it may be inside the column itself (usually in the tilt/telescoping section).

Replacing this includes replacement of the electric power steering motor, which requires removal of the dash. It doesn't take that long to do (about 2 hours), but it's something to be aware of.

Obviously they will need to confirm where the sound is coming from first before they start replacing parts.

Jeff
Do you also happen to have the # of the TSB? I miss not having access to TIS anymore. :disappoin Thanks for the info Jeff.

The noise occurs regardless of whether I am turning the wheel or not, so I also wonder if it is a wheel shaft issue. My sister's 04 Camry had that issue, and there was a TSB for it.

·
Owner of much Obsolete
1986 Corolla GT-S
2,286 Posts
Sorry, I can look up the TSB, but only for Canada, USA would be different.

Jeff

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
7 Posts
T-sb-0243-09

Just had my 09 XRS in for the same issue, Replaced Intermediate Steering shaft under TSB number above :thumbsup: The TSB list 1.0 labor just for R/R shaft. Nothing else needed. Shaft number-TY45260-02110

Also had the front brakes vibrating under medium to hard pressure. They replaced the pads under warranty and resurfaced the rotors:thumbsup: N/C !

Love my Dealer. I just purchased this vehicle 4 months ago with 22K and have 24K now . Toyota Rocks ! Great customer service here in Henderson, NV .

Mark-

·
straight cash homie
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just had my 09 XRS in for the same issue, Replaced Intermediate Steering shaft under TSB number above :thumbsup: The TSB list 1.0 labor just for R/R shaft. Nothing else needed. Shaft number-TY45260-02110

Also had the front brakes vibrating under medium to hard pressure. They replaced the pads under warranty and resurfaced the rotors:thumbsup: N/C !

Love my Dealer. I just purchased this vehicle 4 months ago with 22K and have 24K now . Toyota Rocks ! Great customer service here in Henderson, NV .

Mark-
Thanks. I'll use that TSB number and let them know. I took classes in automotive before, and the instructor always told us to look for TSBs on the car you serviced. By doing that, gives the technician more opportunity to earn $$.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
good to hear paxman1. There's no substitute for finding a good & responsive dealer that you can have a good relationship with. :)

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
8 Posts
Great information

Mark-
This was a very helpful post Mark. I also have this "noise from the steering column" problem. I called the dealership and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. I found the TSB on-line, using the information you provided, and printed copy to provide the dealer tomorrow. (just in case they need it) Thanks again.

·
straight cash homie
21,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since this was bumped, I'll update...my entire EPS (pretty much the whole steering assembly) was replaced under warranty last May, along with a bad moonroof, so it took care of my problem. The cost was somewhere around the thousands had it not been for the warranty. While that took care of my biggest issue with the car, I still hear noises from the my brakes in the AM when cold.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS
8 Posts
Since this was bumped, I'll update...my entire EPS (pretty much the whole steering assembly) was replaced under warranty last May, along with a bad moonroof, so it took care of my problem. The cost was somewhere around the thousands had it not been for the warranty. While that took care of my biggest issue with the car, I still hear noises from the my brakes in the AM when cold.
Well unfortunately for me I'm just out of warranty as of 06/11 so.... I'm paying out of pocket for my repair. So far I'm up to $400 in repairs. I got a call from the mechanic yesterday saying he finished the job but was not satisfied w/ the results, as there was sill rattling coming from the steering column. I'm dreading the call from the mechanic on Monday when he gives me the final $figure$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts