Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I was disassembling the steering linkage in order to drop the oil pan, and the connection between the tie rod and the connector rod started leaking oil. How do I re-seal/re-fill/fix it?

Thanks in advance,
K

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
You may be able to replace the tie rod end boot but, if there are a lot of miles on it, the best thing to do would be to just replace the tie rod end.

·
Registered
'84 2WD Pickup
379 Posts
You may be able to replace the tie rod end boot but, if there are a lot of miles on it, the best thing to do would be to just replace the tie rod end.

OP should keep in mind that changing the tie rod ends typically requires realignment.

When I had this problem, I wasn't able to find replacement boots for my Hilux. If they are available to fit OEM tie rod ends, I would appreciate hearing about it. Since my truck drives 200 miles a year, I opted to reseal the old one with RTV. A poor repair, to be sure, but I didn't want to turn a little thing into a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the tie rod end boot was not serviceable and I did need to replace the whole end, going in for alignment tomorrow. The tie rod end was only $17 and I haven't had an alignment in a long time so it works out fine. The other interesting thing was that Toyota and the Haynes manual call for a form in place gasket, but the parts store had a cork gasket and the old one was a cork gasket. I opted for the cork gasket since I don't like committing to a sealant. Seems to be holding so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latest update: the gasket leaked so I'm back to using the Toyota seal packing 103 (FIPG). Here's hoping...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts