Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 camry
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 camry w/140k on it. Just recently I started experiancing something strange w/ the steering. It seems like while I am turning it feels like the car slips a little or maybe like the steering goes out for a second then pulls back. All the resistance goes a way for a moment and the car goes straight for a second...it is very hard to explain so hope that is enough, and it often happens in the begining of the turn. I checked the fluid and it was low so I topped it off, I also thought maybe my tires were just real bad and pulling the car so I got new tires. Any how it is still doing it. If anyone has any Ideas about how I could fix this I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cschancey said:
I have a 92 camry w/140k on it. Just recently I started experiancing something strange w/ the steering. It seems like while I am turning it feels like the car slips a little or maybe like the steering goes out for a second then pulls back. All the resistance goes a way for a moment and the car goes straight for a second...it is very hard to explain so hope that is enough, and it often happens in the begining of the turn. I checked the fluid and it was low so I topped it off, I also thought maybe my tires were just real bad and pulling the car so I got new tires. Any how it is still doing it. If anyone has any Ideas about how I could fix this I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.
My first thought is your wheel alignment is way off and needs to be adjusted.:sosad:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
SOunds more like either the P/S rack or the pump. I would be more inclined to think the rack. The seals are probably going out on it and allowing fluid to get around them. When this happens there is no resistance. I have only seen this once or twice on any car and am trying to work off memory so anyone else who has idea please bash if I am completely wrong.

CHeck the repair manual sticky at the top of the forum also. It is the entire repair manual from Toyota and will give you some help diagnosing it.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
i had the same issue in my 92, does it feel like the front end squirms a bit? i have replaced my rack already, but i think my ball joint on one side, so its kinda feeling a bit loose again. PM me if you ever decide to tackle it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well to get the rack out you've got to
  1. support the front of the car on axel stands,
  2. pop the the outer tie rod ends,
  3. remove the rack mounting bolts,
  4. remove the power steering fluid lines from the pinion housing,
  5. remove the stablizer bar brackets (so it can be lifted out of the way)
and the rack should slide out from the passenger side of the car.
mount ing is pretty much the reverse

To get the ball joints out you've got to remove the main hub nut(axel nut)
  1. separate the hub from the strut,
  2. you can choose to separate the cv joint from the drive shaft then remove the cv joint ( to access the ball joint) or just take the entire cv joint drive shaft assembly out together from the hub
  3. remove the ball joint nut, pop it
  4. unscrew the ball joint mounting nuts and bolt
and that should do it

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
actually for the rack you have to
1. support front of car on jackstands and remove wheels, make sure steering wheel is at 12:00
2. disconnect the rack arms from the wheel hubs
3. disconnect the front sway bar from the hub, and un bolt the rear (front sway bar) mount bolts (to access the rack bolts)
4. disconnect the rack's fluid lines...this may be a bit messy, get a catch pan, also disconnect the rack from the steering column.
5. un bolt the rack from the chassis, and work it out through the passanger side.
6. check the O-rings on the fluid lines, if they look ok then leave, but if theyre scuffied up, or broken- replace. also check your ball joints( cant remember if that is the correct name...its what connects the rack arms to the hub, correct me if im wrong please)

this is a job that could easily take 2 people to do (one under car, other above)

good luck! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.