Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what appeared to be a used steering rack in good shape and had it installed in my 95.5 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4 AT because mine was leaking. Now my steering feels choppy, kind of chops back out of a turn and tacks a bit to the right. Also, while in 4wd, it doesn't feel any different and the truck wanders all over the lane.

This is the first time this mechanic has done on of these- is there something that was missed? not done correctly? He said he did the alignment and suggested I switch the front wheels.

Thanks!

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
Maybe the bushings are shot to hell. Were they ever changed out prior to installation? If not, then get some poly ones from wheelersoffroad.com.

·
Registered
2003 Tacoma TRD
216 Posts
I think that the only way to know whether it is messed up or not is to just put a new one on. For me when it comes to something as important as steering I wouldn't cut corners and use another "used part" that appears to be in good shape. There could be something wrong with the used one that you put on and it could be installed correctly. Or simply installed incorrectly. Either way as previously recommended the bushin kit from wheelers is good and not too hard to install, made a little bit of a difference for me. If the steering is chopping and not feeling right it probably isn't right. Either bad install or bad parts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

What are the symptoms of bad bushings?

Would the rack install affect the 4WD at all or am I perhaps imagining things?

The 4WD light comes on and the turning radius is choppy in tight turns, so it must be working?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts