Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with seal replacement kits for R & P gear. Leaks are getting worse but price quoted on rebuilt unit scares me. I did a search no real help on the site that I could find. I would like to go back with a low temperature power steering fluid to avoid blowing seals again although it lasted 191,000 km BTW 97 Camry LE 4 cyl Manual
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,072 Posts
Was the price including the core return?

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Cheap here in the US

FYI:
Remanufactured units are cheap here (I think) I did mine and the return core cost more than the remanufactured part. US dollars on West Coast $165 for a long rack (thats with new tie rod ends). I think the core was like $185 USD. In my opinion, not worth the labor and parts cost and most of us do not have the special tools required to do it....

Good luck,

Randy

PS - there is stick: Rack and Pinion and 2 axels replaced, you might want to read it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rebuid is not rocket science

I rebuilt mine during my Christmas vacation. The most diffcult part is the removal and reinstallation. The actual job just consists of removing and replacing teflon and rubber o rings from the rack and control valve and bushings from the rack housing.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
if you dont fell comfortable doing it your self you could always check your local phone book. I know here in the Nashville TN area there are a couple of places that rebuild that type stuff. You could maybe take it out yourself then take it to them to have it rebuilt.

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xxxavier2k3 said:
I rebuilt mine during my Christmas vacation. The most diffcult part is the removal and reinstallation. The actual job just consists of removing and replacing teflon and rubber o rings from the rack and control valve and bushings from the rack housing.

Still there? Any special tools required to remove seals? Glad it worked out for you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well there are special servce tools recomended for pretty much every seal and bushing but i improvised based on their appearance. If you download the lexus es300 service manual provided on us.lexusownersclub.com you'll realise that a brass rod and rubber mallet and much care in the handling of the teflon rings (so as not to over stretch them ) is all thats really necessary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds good to me pete but since he mentioned seal replacement kits I mentioned my experience.
Quite useful info though. I didn't even consider it though my rack seemed ok.

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks guys I will do the seal thing about mid May when the weather improves .
I will post results

1 - 9 of 9 Posts