Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Camry
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my Carolla just failed inspection (indeed, was labled dangerous) due to too much play in the front wheels (the new CVJ was fine, for those that were following my previous thread).

Is this likely just a steering rod problem or could I be looking at a new steering rack?

This concerns me greatly. If it's an expensive repair, it may just be sold (likely for parts). I like the car and would rather not see it put out to pasture quite yet.

Opinions please.

Paul.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,861 Posts
I went out to look at my Tercel but can't see an adjustment, tomorrow I'll try to get it on a rack at the shop and look underneath for an adjustment. Normally if it has one it'll be a lock nut on a threaded shaft. Loosen the nut, turn shaft inwards and tighten nut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you (the original poster) ever fix this? I have slack in the tie rod where it connects to the steering rack.

I NEED to know what's involved in replacing the inner tie rod. Can it be done with the rack in the car? Do I need to drop the crossmember?
It looks to be impossible to access, especially on the driver's side (and this is the side that has "play" in it.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Camry
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I brought my car to be assessed by a mechanic. He indicated that the problem was with the steering rods and that I should have them replaced. The diagnosis was without charge. I've bought the parts and now have to arrange with the same mechanic to install them (and rear shocks, and a timing belt). It doesn't seem to be a huge job to replace the rods. I'd try it myself if I weren't so damn busy working to pay my bills. I'll update when the work is done.
Paul.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pdrover said:
I brought my car to be assessed by a mechanic. He indicated that the problem was with the steering rods and that I should have them replaced. The diagnosis was without charge. I've bought the parts and now have to arrange with the same mechanic to install them (and rear shocks, and a timing belt). It doesn't seem to be a huge job to replace the rods. I'd try it myself if I weren't so damn busy working to pay my bills. I'll update when the work is done.
Paul.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure there is an outer and inner tie rod. The outer should be fairly easy to replace. The inner tie rod is more complicated, and the shop manual is unclear on what involved in replacing it.

Are they replacing the inner tie rod and if so, do you have any idea of what this costs?

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Camry
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm having the inner rods replaced. It's costing about 60Euro (>$70US) for the job. I've found a retired Toyota mechanic that since started his own business. His rates seem reasonable.

From examining the new rod, there is a joint on the rack end and on the end of that is just a threaded stud. I expect that that just screws into the stearing rack. This is all speculation though. I've never done the job or seen any instructions on how to do it (any volunteers?). Of course, once complete, an allignment will be required.

Paul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.