Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 pickup
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to remove the steering stabilizer shock? I can't seem to get the bolt to move. Is there right hand / left hand threads? Or is it just rust welded tight. Bob

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yup a little weezel piss and a torch works great... try a cheater pipe on your wrenches just make sure they are lifetime tools so is you break em you can return em.

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Bob Green said:
Is there an easy way to remove the steering stabilizer shock? I can't seem to get the bolt to move. Is there right hand / left hand threads? Or is it just rust welded tight. Bob
I'm curious - where did you find a replacement shock?

IIRC, it's got a ball joint on the end that attaches to the steering rod. Once you get the nut off, you'll need a "pickle fork" to seperate the tapered joint.

At 134K miles and 12YO, I'm sure my steering stabilizer shock is shot. Please let us know how much improvement you got to your steering by replacing the shock.

BTW, 2wd or 4wd?

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
me and my dad replaced his a while ago, we just ended up cutting the bolt i think, i know we did for the shocks. the ride was so much better after replacing it, along with the shocks.

·
Stop buying garbage
301 Posts
stab shock

Arved,

I just got my truck back from the recall. I had called in advance of dropping it off to ask what problems they were typically encountering while performing the recall. They told me sometimes they ended up having to replace the idler arm and optionally the stablizer shock.

I wasn't suprised when they did call after I dropped it off and said both items were shot. I told them to replace them as they were offering parts only, no charge for the labor. They charged me $180 for the idler arm and $60 for the stablizer shock which they said they got aftermarket to keep the cost down.

I noticed no difference under 45mph but did notice it was somewhat tighter at speeds above that.

NOT $240 worth tighter or better, but what do you do :)
Pete

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Thanks, Pete.

I'm sure the stabilizer is a lot more critical on a 4wd, especially if you've lifted and tucked bigger wheels and tires under there. On my 2wd, with stock wheels and only modestly bigger tires, there's absolutely no "twitchiness" for the shock to absorb.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
'94 pickup 22re 2wd
42 Posts
who makes a stabilizer for my truck?

I am glad someone mentioned the stabilizer. I have a 94 2wd 22re and I just recently replaced my shocks. I got the rancho rs5000 which are really made for off road, not very comfortable, and I tried to replace the stabilizer aswell, but no one makes it and if they do a little bracket is missing. So if anyone knows where I can get a stabilizer made for my truck other than the stock toyota, which is WAY overpriced...

·
Registered
90 Toyota Pickup 4WD
168 Posts
I just swapped my tires for some 31's and noticed a shimmy going down the road at about 65. Would this stabilizer shock help to reduce that? If so, what do I get to install one?

Thanks..Tony

·
Lemon Jelly Donut
many things
882 Posts
I replaced mine wiht a pro-comp model, es1000 I think was the number, and it does help, when new, just wish the made one for yota's that would last.

riv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts