Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 99 Tacoma Prerunner V6, just changed the rack and pinion, upper and lower ball joints, and outer tie rods. And mounted 4 new tires. After all that the steering is way too easy to turn and the truck feels unstable at higher speeds. I've quadruple-checked everything to make its not loose. I've already had it aligned, it runs straight, just feels like it sways a lot at higher speeds. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,043 Posts
Odd problem to have. Does it have a front sway bar and if so did it get new bushings?
Made all the difference on my T100. Are the new tires different from what you were running and how about vibrations or vertical hop?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the sway bar got new bushings too. I do have wheels from an 04 Tacoma. OEM size tires though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you get an alignment done? You didn’t mention it so I just wanted to throw that out there in case you didn’t do one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bad, that’s the only thing I can really think of. I do remember when I did all this stuff on my 99 a few years ago that I wasn’t used to how sensitive the steering was. I was so used to having to compensate for the play in the steering that it did take some getting used to how responsive and smooth the steering was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries. Yes I also considered that maybe I'm just not used to how easy it is to steer. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2003 Highlinder V4 AWD. 2021 Corolla Hybrid
15 Posts
Before you changed out the front end parts did you get a bit of shuddering when going over bumps at higher speeds? Not sure if I just need new shocks or the whole shebang. My son is willing to replace all the parts for free so I should probably just do everything. It has over 240K miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts